Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Toys galore!

Same plan - if there's any wind, hit the estuary at high tide. There is some, but it looks like 17m weather. Called Adrian at Axis before I hit the water and he said he was busy but come and pick some boards up from his house... on it!

So we get talking and showing off the wares and I have to turn down some boards cos I don't have space in the car... but wave mutant thing, I'll be back for you. I set of with a Vanguard 137x42, Ultra 144x45 and a prototype light wind thing slightly larger than the Ultra.

Back to the estuary... wind is up a bit, should be fine on the 13m. Head off with the Vanguard to see how a small board goes in ok wind.

Well... I love it! Spray is pretty much nil, bottom end is actually pretty good for such a small board. Carves nice, goes edge-to-edge quick and sticks like shit on a blanket, pops happily and yes the funky channels actually work.

Can't remember the sequence of gear, but I changed kites and boards - 10m and the Ultra I ended up finishing my session with. Greatly prefer the Vanguard I think, probably due to the size and smoothness of the edge... the Ultra feels more draggy and locked on the edge like the Flydoor with the fin.... didn't stop me riding it for another hour or so.

Got a few ok jumps and one nice elevator ride... had a lot of fun but still not back in the groove.

Weather was reported as up to 31kph from the NE. LOL again.
Wind felt like slightly over-powered on the 13 to fine on the 10 dropping to slightly underpowered.

What I learned today...
  • Where to begin :o
  • Vanguard will be my next board for sure!
  • The straps and pads... money!
  • Carbon - you sexy beast!
  • Adrian is my new bestest friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment