Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fancy-schmancy, look at me...

Another day of hitting the estuary in time for the tide. Wind was almost as good as yesterday, to start out with, but fell off and continued to do so all afternoon, until at about the 3 hour mark I had to work the kite... but still got back to my starting point!

So the boosts were just meh and I started to do some rotations... getting back in the groove, as it were. A few fails, noticeably trying to do multiples when the wind wasn't strong, but no slams as bad as jumping out of straps... BOOM! the mud goes flying.

Another great day, really satisfying to get back into the air style... just wish I could reach my feet :o

Weather was reported as 24kph falling to 20, at 21˚C.
Wind felt like almost over-powered falling to having to work the kite... but still getting back up wind enough. Damn, that's a good board!

What I learned today...
  • It's so weird to be on the same size kite - or smaller! - as everyone else.
  • Bottom end of the Vanguard seems to be pretty darn good... so hard to tell eh. I mean, I'm working the kite and don't have the power to actually complete any tricks, but I can still get back to my starting point. I'm sure the "flat" water helps... although I wonder what effect the in-going/out-going tide has...
  • Using a flatter board to boost from ensures you don't jam the edge and get ripped off the board... and you seem to go higher. I'm still getting used to boosting off flat water... certainly much easier to go higher from a "kicker".
  • There was one more thing that kept popping into my head but now I've forgotten...

No comments:

Post a Comment