Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Some is better than none!

So, the forecast was for yellow in Hikone and blue in Otsu.. that means we'd probably get lighter wind here. Looked ok on the web cam and when I arrived, but when I put the kite up and got on the water it was all show and no go.

Dicked around for a while, got some runs in and did some floating around waiting. It was ok - better than sitting around at home...

Weather was reported as 9-12 knots, gusts to 26 at 5am so not real useful that eh; 7˚C at 48% - jeez, it's like summer!
Wind felt like just powered 45%, barely or not powered 50%, maybe-I-need-the-Origin-after-all 5%.

What I learned today...
  • The Regular S3 12 is actually pretty good too... and I'm now confident again in using such a small kite. Well, for now...
  • Like a regular kite, I don't like being over-powered on the Dialer and so far my zone of comfort is pretty narrow on the board... the Speed3 of course builds apparent wind nicely when looped but that can get quite gnarly in the gusts.
  • S3 12 seems to do ok for me on the directional... when the wind was enough to be powered, it floated ok-ish without deforming and the power came back on nicely when just sheeting in - better than the XB? Turned ok too - the ol' stall, rotate and zoom out the other style.
  • I have gone WAY backwards at getting up on the board :o man-oh-man, what a kook.
  • Fast n' ugly footwork is more effective than slow and perfect, in the gybes...

No comments:

Post a Comment