Monday, July 22, 2013

Pick n' mix

Had some fun, made some gybes, ate some shit, missed the thermals. . . it's all good.

I knew the wind would only come in for an hour so I made sure I was there in time. Went with the Flite cos why not.

Started out on the Dialer, having a nice time. Some kids are waving and squealing at me - think I heard one of them say my name, wonder if they're students. Having fun riding waves.

Wind picked up some so I came back in to get the Z . . . ballsed up a gybe and things got weird - board downwind, me getting pulled at the pointy ends, body-english to avoid it, dive the kite a bit and get dragged up the beach so I half-heartedly hit the QR. Doesn't release so I think it missed it, but as I get my feet under me it goes - I'm hanging onto the kite with both hands but there's no way that I will be able to reset the QR so I just let go the kite. Now I think I could have put it to the edge of the window . . . doh.

So I reset the kite and got on the Z. Under-powered but it was actually feeling really nice . . . less chop?

That was good until the the pad slipped . . . WTH? Oh, the screw has come out - shit! Go back and get the Flydoor, but the wind has dropped.

Back on the Dialer ride around a bit but the wind has really dropped and we're all walking now. Let Miyachi take a run on the Flite and he seems to enjoy it. Thought he was bit over-powered but he seemed ok.

Stand around waiting for the wind to come up but in the end I give up and pack it in.

As I'm driving out of the carpark, it looks like the wind has come up some - could have been riding on the 17 maybe, 21 for sure. Sigh . . . maybe tomorrow.

Moment of the day was doing a flawless gybe like I wasn't a tard.
Mood of the session was rah ah? bah gah.

Weather was reported as 12 to 15 knots, gusts to 22 at 3:30pm; 31˚C at 78%.
Wind felt like just powered until I broke the board, to completely under-powered.

What I learned today...
• Probably shoulda waited for the thermals . . .
• Don't try tricky shit right next to the shore.
• Starting to feel comfy on the Dialer - finding the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment