Monday, July 15, 2013

Mmm...

Supposed to be windy all day... but it wasn't. Contrary weather thankfully didn't rain, as the forecast said it would fine, so I had a dry ride in to RS Taichi to get new tyres.

Got home, went and checked the lake - southerlies. Came home, checked GPV—ah, now the forecast says wind at 5pm.

Go back at 5pm... oh ho! the wind has shifted and there's a blow line coming in...

Looks like it'll be light, so I take the 21 and the Dialer over to the beach... but by the time I arrive, there's fearsome white caps inbound. I dash back for the Z-series... probably should have got a different kite or at least the seat harness but oh well.

Wind was a gusty bitch for the first 20 minutes—lots of kites in the drink until the wind filled in properly.

Waist harness shits me right off, riding into my armpits every time I fall over or do a stunt. Jumping is not going well cos I can't adapt to the shorter and narrower board. But I keep slugging away at it...

The Z-series is a smooth ride. Carves really nice, going to be fun freeriding that. Pads are awesome... good board. But the spray... my god, it's constant. I figure my stance is to blame so I adapt and it seems better. Can't get the hang of edging for the boost, but I think the harness is the problem there...

Nearly dark but the wind has dropped a tad so I risk a run on the Dialer. Much easier to get onto it with some wind! I play with feet position, riding the fins and trying to gybe and tack. Nearly manage one of each. I still suck riding toeside... but it's fun. I shoulda done that with a smaller kite :( but then, I'd be fucking with the fucking harness even fucking more.

Pack up and in the car at 8:20pm... good long session but all the wrong gear!

Moment of the day was getting out on the new boards.
Mood of the session was OH-YES-we-got-wind OH-NO-I'm-over-powered OH-GOD-fucking-harness.

Weather was reported as 12 to 8 knots, gusts to 18. 28˚C at 76%.
Wind felt like should have been fun over-powered to what would have been comfy powered. Except for the frickin' harness.

What I learned today...
• I am so not interested in waist harnesses.
• Despite the fact that it's SO much easier to move your legs!
• Z-series will take some adapting too. But it has potential.
• Starting with weight on the back foot seems the best way with the Dialer.

No comments:

Post a Comment