Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thailand again, first attempt...

After being introduced to the spots that I'll be using by Robert aka Buzz yesterday (thanks again man!), we bit the bullet and hired a car... wind looked good in the morning, around lunch when we hired the car and... the wind died just as I carried my gear to The New Spot. Which is quite the coincidence because the car had just died too :-/ got a replacement car and headed up to Nathon. Had a snack and the wind's looking ok! Toddle over to the KBA hut... not much beach space! But Sam thinks the wind is rideable so I put up the XB 16...

Nah, not riding. Submarine downwind for a couple of tacks, then body drag (in knee deep water!) back to the spot. While I'm doing that the wind picks up some so I try again. Am riding! Downwind though...

By a combination of body drags and walking on the sand bar, I make my way up and downwind. Lovely flat water though! Nothing exciting happens... although the Samui Marine Police line up on the lawn outside the front of their HQ to watch :o

Back on shore, Sam is laughing at me falling over when I try to ride over the sand bar... but suggests I should make a short video of me riding and doing some safe jumps, as a promo for KBA to show old, fat guys that yes you old, fat guys CAN do kiteboarding! Thanks, Sam! I think...

Head home just after sunset...

Weather was reported as 10 knots. I dunno, maybe...

What I learned today...
• Flat water gives a couple of knots on the bottom end!
• The New Spot has a beach about the size of Locus at high tide. That'll work just fine!
• Nathon is going to be a VERY tight launch at high tide :( specially for the S3...

No comments:

Post a Comment