Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Primo Phangka!

Went down to Nathon to meet Buzz at 4pm-ish... sat around chatting with Gray and Sam (KBA guys) on the beach cos there was NO wind :( Buzz arrived a bit late but said it was rocking down near the new spot at a place nicknamed Twin Peaks cos of the two mountains duh. Seems they generate thermals... Buzz took off, I ran around looking for the wife who was out shopping, rounded her up and headed down that way...

KBA was already on the water, Buzz was pumping up when I arrived... I decided to go with the XB 16 cos there wasn't enough clean beach to launch the 21 - another good call cos the thermal picked up toward sunset!

I got set up on the limited real estate and branch etc strewn beach - managed to tangle lines :( - and had an interesting launch with Buzz holding my kite while flying his - we got there in the end!

BAM straight out and riding good - lovely flat water, super-smooth wind... fucking awesome! Good jumps, great back-rolls and easy jump-transitions. Went at it a bit over-enthusiastically and then realized I only had about 30cm of water under me at times... but no prangs!

Was great to be riding with Buzz - he shot way upwind of me (I was upwind of KBA students) and we did stereophonic jumps :)

Rode until the sun set... didn't want to quit! Packed up in the dark... awesome spot! Best session to date!


Wind felt like about 15 knots when I got on the water, up to about 20 knots when I got off. One single punch from a gust that felt like maybe 25 but otherwise, super-smooth!


What I learned today...
• You don't even have to do up the harness leg straps at all :o
• Should take the Flyradical with me.
• It's inspiring riding with people who do something other than just cruise back and forth!
• The wife is actually turning into quite a handy little kite monkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment