Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Phangka again

Same plan with Buzz as yesterday... we drove to Nathon about 3pm and there was N-O-T-H-I-N-G - I couldn't even tell you which way the wind wasn't blowing. Drove to The New Spot to see if B was there; a little wind from the north but not enough. Headed back to Phangka bay - it was cooking!

Stood around watching the KBA lessons taking up the whole bay, wondering how long till the tide came in, and should I go home for the 13... when B arrived. We both decided on the 16 and a small board... wind had dropped by the time we'd set up though, so I chose the big board and shot upwind of him.

Crowded today! A trio of Frenchies turned up but shared 2 kites between them... Sam and Gray went out too so there was about 7 of us on the water :o

I played "race upwind" with the Dyno guy... then decided that was boring and started doing jumps. Not as much wind as yesterday so I start doing rotations... get some nice ones in too!

Then... poink! spreader bar hook separates on the RHS and as I ride along looking at it going "WTF do I do now!?" the LHS gave out. The kite shot to the zenith and looked like it's just going to sit there, on my safety leash so I pulled it in and released the QR. Easy wind up of lines and walk into shore, which was nice. And I wasn't 30 feet in the air when the hook gave out too.

Le sigh.


Wind felt like it was on the low side of 15-20 knots but it picked up as the sun set... while I was watching from the side lines :(


What I learned today...
• Carry a spare spreader bar if you're using Dakine :-/
• I've been pretty lucky with gear failures so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment