Saturday, August 4, 2012

Spicy sausage

Had a lunch-time obligation that I thought I couldn't get out... then I just decided to put my foot down and inform the wife that I'm leaving at 2, like it or not. So I did, and I did...

Got to Mie in time for the blow that was forecast from 3pm... measured 15 to 25 knots on the beach. That'll explain the full carpark, the hordes of pole dancers and a bunch of kites too. Hummed and harred about the gear... decided on the S3 15 and the Flyradial, as the wind was supposed to drop off.

Man, I'm glad I did! Perfectly over-powered... big ol' jumps, big ol' smiles :) bloody gusty though - lots of times, I went up beautifully then the kite stalled and I got dropped... took those landings on my ass so as not to risk the ankle. Enough wind that I could cruise upwind at very slowly walking speed, just hanging on the kite... then sheet in, point the board downwind and BOOOOOST! I like that... good kickers today too, but only one direction - wind was cross-on.

Got an hour of awesome riding, then it seemed to drop a bit - came in for a drink. Went back out and now had to work and actually ride the board at speed to get upwind.

Trying too hard, I launched a medium sized jump but overdid the take-off and... ended up doing a double back-roll :o I knew on the way up it was going to be messy, but with my long experience of messy kite action I managed to keep my head and tried to fly the kite properly; even if I wasn't going to land properly, I'd rather not just slam down... by some miracle though, I touched down perfectly and rode off. LIKE. A. BOSS.

Wind didn't want to pick up and although my hands didn't hurt, my legs were ok and I was still having fun, I was getting to the "Oooh shower and a drink" stage so I called it a day.


Mood of the session was timorous pumped amused.

Moment of the Day was definitely the double back-loop... even big ol' air can't compete with the slickness of that move!

Song stuck in my head was The Flight of Icarus by Iron Maiden off the only IM album I like - Live After Death. "Fly... on your wings... like an eagle!"

It sucks when you had the spicy sausage for lunch and keep belching.

Weather was reported as 17.2 knots, dropping to 14.6; gusts of 25.2! 31°C at 67%.
Wind felt like 10% zOMG! 60% AW hell yeah! 30% hmm...


What I learned today...
• What a double back-roll feels like. It feels like awesome.
• Landing bum first is what causes the harness to go riding wa-aaay up in there.
• Sending the smaller S3 back more than directly up gives the yoink up, then redirecting gives the float for a nice landing. Which is doable cos it's fast enough.
• Was a long drive home... very sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment