Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Great Expectations

Cracking forecast for Mie today!!! Should be mental...

Well. It WAS mental, just not mental enough. I measured 18-22 knots when we arrived at 12 but the forecast was calling for 30 or so. The 3 or 4 other adult kiters were on 9 or 10s and Lil Grom was on a 6 LOL so I should be good on my 13 and small board.

Mmm... not living up to expectations. I can ride mostly ok but it's gusty and I'm not loving it... ride around for a bit, wishing I hadn't erred on the side of caution and had put up the S3 15 instead. Waves are big and the chop is rough... tweak my ankle slamming into a pre-breaking wave face :(

Come in for a drink and the Flydoor... wander back to the car, have the drink, chat to the wife, head back to the beach, oh ho! The wind has picked up! Head back out on the Flyradical...

That's better! Even more gusty... get all excited about powering into a kicker, sheet in and then... nothing. Back-stall. Even though I've trimmed the kite so I can't back-stall in the lulls o_0 but get too aggro with the bar and the kite is violent. Gah.

But the jumps are great, when I time it all right. Some nice big floaty ones too. Lots of slams into wave faces, getting bounced off edges etc which got old quickly.

I'm (mostly) having fun but my hands are starting to kill me... maybe I need gloves. That blows. Harness is wedged so far up my butt I can taste neoprene. Legs are getting tired too. Timing is off. Starting to think about cold drinks and the fresh water shower...

I pack it in. Pretty good session but I'd have been happier if it was less gusty. Can't sneeze at riding for 3 hours until you're knackered though!


Mood of the session was frustrated elated invaded.

Moment of the Day was finally getting to show-off for the wife with a couple of monster jumps. Yes I'm 12 years old.

Song stuck in my head was My Hero by Foo Fighters. Watch him as he goes - whee!

It sucks when you're over-powered then sheet in to boost and the kite back-stalls...!

Weather was reported as 16 to 18 knots, gusts no more than 30; 32°C at 69%.
Wind felt like it was trying to sneak up and spank me for getting aggressive in the lulls.


What I learned today was...
• The wife can't put on sunblock properly HAaaar!
• The flat-water area is only good at lowest tide and disappears in a couple of hours.
• 20 to 25 knots IS the sweet spot for the 13 but up to 30 is the big fun.
• I need a slightly bigger board for these conditions for easier planing while working.
• Should have taken the Mako with me!
• It's not landing the big jumps that hurts the ankle, it's the little hops :-/
• When you start fantasizing about the cold fresh-water shower rather than the next boost, it might be time to get off the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment