Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pre-Thai shake-down

Probably shouldn't, considering I'm supposed to be packing and doing other chores, but it's last chance for a session here and Mie is looking good again. That big cell of nasty looking clouds sitting down to the S.E. seems to be driving the groovy weather we've had for the past week or so! They're sitting there being all intimidating as I drive down to the beach.

Oh goody. Beach for of university students with barbeques, alcohol, and jetskis, all screaming at each other and behaving like junior high school kids trying to cop a feel. Grr...

Set up the Crossbow 16 cos I want to compare it to the S3 15... lay out my lines, then drop my kite on the beach in a clear spot. Well it was until two asshole windsurfers drop their gear up- and down-wind of my stuff... sketchy self-launch. Wankers.

Get on the water and feel better. Track up to the tidal lagoon and start playing in there... mostly. Good idea cos it keeps me away from the pole-dancers and DICKHEAD directional riders who don't look behind them when doing their imitation of surfers who miss all the waves... and can't jump worth shit :D

So I have a good play time... use the flat water to do some sent front- and back-rolls - they're ok but I'm worried about knees/ankles so aren't trying to go big. No seriously! Bit weird riding an LEI again - been a long time since I was on one. Bar pressure... phew!

Had a good 3 hours out... now to pack up for Thailand!


Mood of the session was relaxing athletic educational.

Moment of the Day was probably that first front roll that was just so perfect and easy!

Song stuck in my head was Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys.

It sucks when uni student mongs stand within a foot of you watching you wash yourself down with the hose... just standing there, watching... and looking... and staring...


Weather was reported as 13 to 15 knots between 12 and 4pm, pretty consistent. I measured 14 to 16 knots on the beach when I arrived at about 1pm. 22 knots gusts at 5am was the peak... 31°C at 69%.


Wind felt like I could have gone with a smaller board... but would have had to work hard at getting back upwind.


What I learned today...
• Delay releasing the edge a bit longer for more height... when you feel the kite REALLY pull upwards.
• Send it back further than you have been.
• Xbow has almost NO pull when looping and well sheeted out...!
• But sheeting out when redirecting makes a nice loft for gentle touchdowns...
• Sent rotations seem to be easier with the 'bow... I'm betting cos it sits & pulls downwind more than the Speeds...

No comments:

Post a Comment