Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mellow top-up session

Been watching the weather forecast since Saturday, even the long range one ... getting desperate. Today there was a slim chance of a ride, so I went down the lake. Got there about 4pm (thanks to idiots at work insisting on a meeting in the middle of my lunch hour) and it looked doable.

Headed over to the lake with the S3 21 and the Flydoor and Mako, just in case. Nice quick set up but the launch went haywire because something got tangled in the bridle. Couldn't dump the kite on the ground cos ASSHOLES had left the gear they weren't using strewn across the beach so I had to fly it between their shit and then stall it to the ground. No bad skills for a kite that wasn't flying properly. Untangled that mess then got it back in the air ... bastards.

Started out on the Mako but I've yet to click with that ... going downwind too far. Get on the Flydoor - much better! More board speed means better jumps ;) I work on my load'n'pop take-offs. A few nice big jumps when the wind gusts up around 5 I guess.

Now I'm more powered, I change back to the Mako ... but the holes for the mutant setup are squirting water directly into my eyes. Dafuq? Give up on that and ride out the rest of the mellow session on the Flydoor.

Do some rotations, mess with the backroll transition ... might have that down, we'll see.

The Master of Disaster and dropped his kite TE down and is drifting up the river. Miyachi rescues him with his the SUP board.  Uncle Pyro has dropped his kite on the shore and wrapped lines around my Mako - that'll learn you for leaving your shit over the beach. Other kites are dropping. Auntie is going downwind. People are giving up. I'm still riding. In fact, yet again, I'm the last one riding and I'm still going upwind. Huzzah Flysurfer!

This should keep me going for a few more ... days.

Mood of the Session was cranky satisfied mellow.

Moment of the Day was getting the load'n'pop ju-ust right and rocketing up in the air!

Weather was recorded as 12 knots at 3pm, 22°C 44%, falling to 5 knots at 6. Gusts of 16 knots at 1pm.
Wind felt like I was slightly over-powered on the big board few a while, comfortable most of the time, falling to mowing the lawn. Was surprised to be riding without white-caps but still able to get right back upwind ... so long as I didn't jump or anything.

What I learned today ...
• Yes, the back-roll transition - stop pulling on the bar once the kite has moved to the other side of the window.
• But digging the new direction's front tip into the water is a silly way to face-plant.
• MUST replace the straps on the 'door! That LH one is hacking me off ...
• Good load'n'pop makes for good jumps with lots of drift ... hard edging on load'n'pop gives a more UP jump with little cross-wind drift.


No comments:

Post a Comment