Friday, May 18, 2012

In the Evening

You can sail the seven seas!

Why the hell not? Left my wetsuit and harness hung up and drying at Locus so I could come down after work and have a quick splash before I had to go to work at 7:30pm ...

Well, it was light. I knew it would be, GPV was spot on for the whole day - except for the gusts. There was a breath of wind but I thought it was doable so although everyone else was standing around looking sorry for themselves, I set up the big Speed between all the LEIs and got it into the air ... just as the wind picked up :D

Tacked back'n'forth for a bit trying to get upwind ... bit more wind ... ah, now I can (try to) jump and ride upwind! What fun!

A few good jumps! Bit of a surprise, given how the light the wind is - I'm doing something a little different though, without noticing ... which I don't click to until later.
The wind is up'n'down and although I ride constantly for the next 90 minutes, I'm the only one - everyone else is on and off the water like jack-in-the-boxes. Mistress of Disaster is trying to ride a 9m kite ... I seriously think she has a very small brain - even Taki is on his 14!

Finally the wind dies right away and it's good timing - just before 6 - I need to get off the water and go to work again :-/
A nice satisfying session to unwind from the hectic morning!

Mood of the Session was smug mellow surprised.

Moment of the Day was popping up the big airs in next to no wind!

Weather was reported as 12 falling to 8 knots at 16°C 64% and it looks like it picked up to 12 again after I left.
Wind felt like I shouldn't have been riding at all, let along upwind AND jumping. A few spikes of "Oh yeah!" but they didn't last.

What I learned today ...
• A few things about the GoPro ...
• Fogging issues - using the car a/c to blast the case with cool dry air ... you gotta blast it for more than a few minutes. It might even be the case that the WHOLE CAR should contain cool and dry air.
• Perhaps the fridge would be a better idea ... or the toilet paper, just in case. Bah.
• Battery ... using one that was charged weeks ago only gets you an hour of recording :(
• Jumps that feel great IRL look like you just cleared the water on the GoPro. And they look even lamer when all the details are blurred out by fog :-/
• Jumping ... the good ones in the evening, I was sheeting right out as I sped up with a little downwind. Recently, I've been not sheeting out at all and the height of jumps has been variable. With the sheeting out, the UP was more aggressive!
• Which reminds me ... ages ago I decided that if you can't hold and load your edge when you sheet out to jump, then you're over-powered. How about that then?
• Water/wave/wind theory DOES work but is only any good for that moment in time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment