Saturday, May 12, 2012

Damned work

Who needs it? Not me. Not when it's blowing 20 knots ... finished at 5pm and rushed down the lake, probably got onto the water about 5:30pm well powered on the S3 15.

Mmm. Wind's gusty and punchy. Water is making like it can't decide if it should do rolling waves, short waves or karate chops. Or which direction it should come from. I try to get my thing down (as the kids say) and get a couple of fun jumps, a bit of elevator action but most is pretty limp - it's tough to get speed up, hold it long enough to find a piece of water to boost off then set up the jump :(

A couple of times the board gets wiped off my feet and once, I manage to keep the board on one foot, only to slam my other foot with it when I hit the water. Ouch.

The wind drops off again and people are getting off the water. Eventually, I have to loop the kite just to get back to the beach. Wait around for the wind to pick up - but it doesn't. Bastard. Be surprised if I got more than 45 minutes riding today ... all that lovely wind wasted!

Mood of the Session was expectant battered unsatisfied.

Moment of the Day was that first pair of tacks out, flying upwind of everyone thinking the rest of the session would rip. Oh you poor deluded fool.

Weather was recorded at 5pm as 21 knots falling to 15 knots 2 hours later; 12°C 68%.
Wind felt like it was awesome bu was just teasing me.

What I learned today ...
• My Grand Unified Wave/Water Theory has yet to be proven wrong.
• Might have gotten more riding in if, having had a psychic vision, I'd waited till the gusts had passed and pulled out the 21.
• Landing with your foot UNDER the board hurts.
• But not for long.
• Best way to pack up a Flysurfer ... use two of the bags of sand, on LE and TE, then fold the kite in half and tuck it under the bags. Now you can tidy up the bridles and THEY'LL STAY PUT while you roll it up.
• Oh  yeah and pack it in the bag while your standing - trying to stuff it in on the ground drags the sand in and makes it all messy ... we all know how important a tidily packed kite is :D

No comments:

Post a Comment