Saturday, October 26, 2013

Birthday Bat-shit Bonkers Boost-fest!

Forecast looks rad, hit the lake at 12; it's supposed to drop off by 4.

Measure the wind at the shore: 16 knots gusts to 32. Huh... this'll be fun. Think I'll go for the 10 and hope it doesn't gust so much. Other guys are setting up 9, 8, 7, 6m kites...

Easy riding to warm up; then it's time to drop the hammer.

The wind gradually picks up, and so does the elevation of the jumps. Fabu! Pretty sure a few of them, I got a foot for every year since my birth :) even enjoyed a few elevator rides - and landed them. Not so successful were the elevator drops... got slammed down a few times when the wind dropped off as I was descending.

It was all epic for about 90 minutes, then it dropped right off. Sat it out, then tried to go out again but it was mega-gusty and I was tired. I landed a few back-roll kite-loops but got overly aggressive on one and catapulted myself into the water - sphincter first. HE-llo!

Shortly thereafter, I front-roll looped the kite into the water and it inverted. Wind is so gusty now, I had a hard time getting back to shore to reset it. Went back out but I'm too tired to deal with all the on/off bullshit.

Great session though! Happy birthday to me!

Moment of the day was huge-ass air!
Mood of the session was rock on!

Weather was reported as 22 knots falling to 13, gusts to 40 (!); 17˚C at 61%. That'll be why I was cold then.
Wind felt like 10% bah-humbug, 50% yeah baby! 37% AW HELLS YEAH! and 3% I'm going to die.

What I learned today...
  • Big jumps rule!
  • Waist harness is no more hassle (eg. forcing it down) than the seat... unless you ass-plant soundly.
  • The key point is to get is to sit over my hipbones... but it doesn't want to stay there.
  • Time to fish out the 4/3.
  • And maybe the 2mm gloves...

No comments:

Post a Comment