Wednesday, September 25, 2013

You gotta come Origin-al!

Great forecast finally, and I get to go to the lake. Thought I might try the Catalyst 14 but by the time I'd pumped it up, I thought the wind was too much. Happy.

So out comes the XB10... yes should be fine so I head out on the Origin for the first time!

Quick review of the 2013 Ocean Rodeo Origin
  • Does everything really well, very easy to ride
  • Almost no spray in the face!
  • Very little spray on my back leg!
  • Don't like the straps - cover my toes too much but not the "meat" of my foot and... well, I don't like 'em
  • Strong points are easy planing and upwind-ability
  • Also handles chop nicely
  • Wish it was orange :(
So it's gonna be good I think, I nice all-round free-ride board! Happy.

Had fun on the Origin, then the wind dropped off and and people came in for a break and I could feel it light, so I grab the Dialer and had some fun on that.

Wind feels like it's up again so I jump back on the Origin, but I'm at the bottom end of the wind range for the gear, so I just do some simple rotations and transitions...

Sun is going down... I'm the last on the water. Good session! Happy.

Moment of the day was the effortless first big boost on the Origin! Oh no it wasn't... it was doing the kite-loop hand-drag back-rotations and not getting dunked and dragged.
Mood of the session was very satisfied.

Weather was reported as 10 to 14 knots, gusts to 20; 28˚C at 66%.
Wind felt like just going upwind powered to good powered... but not for long :(

What I learned today...
  • I might have solved my "small board" problem
  • I might have solved my "travel board" problem... I think the Origin has enough bottom end to allow me to use my small bag :)
  • There seems to be a trick to carving the Dialer hard... but I can't describe the feeling cos I can't remember it really :D
  • I was out on a 10. Everyone else was out on a 10. Goddam!
  • Thorns in my foot are picked up on the path between the trees. Bugger!

No comments:

Post a Comment