Thursday, September 26, 2013

Core, luv a duck!

Forecast for the same as yesterday, all day today which is good cos I have to be in Seta at 5:30pm so I head out at 12:00pm...

I'm all alone when I reach the beach and the wind is UP. I've got my Core GT 7m on the beach cos I thought I might like to play silly buggers with the 7 and hey, it's little - not too much hassle pumping up the 10 if it can't cope...

Well... it can cope. And then some. A few lulls suck but most of the time it's cracking! There's no way I can get on the Dialer again...

People start arriving... 8s and 6s go up. I think those on 8s are dreaming...

Wind is brutal in the gusts, poor little kite flaps around - it's a good lesson in fine-handling a kite. Do some jumps, ride some waves, plant some face, slam some kite... a lot of hard work, this riding!

Starting to feel tired, so I pack it in. Sand is stinging my legs on the beach... wonder what the wind is blowing at?

Even get to work on time. Good session!

Moment of the day was actually riding my 7m for the first time... and some epic jumps.
Mood of the session was I'm ok I'm ok WOAH MY GOD WOAH MY GOD!

Song stuck in my head was "I think we're alone now" by Tiffany. Thanks Ted. Thanks a lot.

Weather was reported as 20 to 22 knots, gusts to 36!!! 21˚C at 53%.
Wind felt like barely powered in the lulls 5% to nicely powered 70% to OMFG! 25%

What I learned today...

  • The Origin carves just fine - keep your speed up.
  • Never felt like I couldn't control the board, even in the gusts. Really loving that board!
  • And starting to get used to the straps... we'll see.
  • Keep the kite low if you have to work it when "riding" a wave.
  • Jumping with a small kite is, at times, like jumping off the roof of the garage screaming "Catch me, dad!"
  • Splat.
  • The GT 7 likes a little rear line tension to power up, and doesn't like massive bar turns - the un-loaded tip flaps like mad. I guess all kites do that to some degree, it just more noticeable in mega-wind and small, fast kites.
  • Might be able to use it on the Dialer in less wind. Or at least, in more consistent wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment