Sunday, June 26, 2011

South Seas

More southerlies, but this time including a little bit of east which puts it onshore at Machiya Beach, near Tsu city in Mie. Hummed and harred for a while - have a very stiff left thigh from Thursday's efforts at Hamamatsu - but decided to suck it up and just do it!

Left home at 12pm, aiming to be there and on the water in time for peak wind at 2pm. Almost worked out that way but we stopped for a bit of lunch on the way so it was about 1:45 when we arrived.

Checked the wind (6 - 10 m/s) and checked what others were riding. Good turn out, probably half the people were Locus locals! Bunch of windsurfers too ... is it just them or do they not go upwind very well?

Most people were on 9 to 11m kites but were on directionals so I put up the 13m Crossbow and the Flydoor. I was nicely powered for most of the next 2 and a half hours on the water, only really getting spanked by the gusts in the last 1/2 hour.

Wife had her camera - and a tripod, for all the difference that made - so I started playing silly buggers. Still having a hard time with the timing of the jumps but got a few good ones in and on film ... kinda. Had to land a few toe-side (going to starboard) cos I messed them up but I was either too tired or lazy to do that going to port so I just splashed down a lot.

Had a great time playing with wave riding, actually riding the board & using the kite rather than being pulled along by the whim of the kite. Pretty tough to do anything really on the Flydoor which got me thinking about the Mako again - as did bouncing off all the chop too!

So it was a lot of just riding around and trying to jump or ride waves. Glad I went though, and didn't let a stiff leg (just one?) turn me off ...

Wind picked up right at the end, as I began to get tired and got some good spankings. Trimming the kite to cope was unsuccessful as it was too hard to hold a fast tack, so I needed instant power from the kite; but cock it up, and it whacked me.

Windspeed was recorded as 14 to 20 knots, max gust 27 knots, from JMA. I measured 14 to 20 when I arrived but the wind picked up towards 4 unclock which wasn't recorded on the website.

Moment of the Day was riding up the face of a wave, popping a little jump (more of a hover) just before the top then skimming my bum on the peaks of the launch and the landing wave, riding down the back of the second one!

What I learned today ...
• Might need that Mako King after all ...
• Water was warm, wind was cool, glasses didn't fog at all. Hurrah Sharks!
• Licking the lenses isn't a successful way of cleaning them though :(
• As with the 16m, the 13m gets twitchy at the upper end of it's actually flying limits - which I think is about 30 knots - as opposed to the limit to where it can be used by fatties.
• I'd say that 15 to 20 knots, give or take a few knots, is the butter zone for the 13 - I had great fun on it till the wind picked up at the end of my session.
• Need to work on adjusting the fit of the harness - I'm getting massive sperlunking again :(
• Charlie Chaplin! Heels close, toes out! Best edge control.

No comments:

Post a Comment