Monday, June 6, 2011

Saved by the Flysurfer!

Been watching the forecasts like a hawk - as usual. Saturday and Sunday promised a little low wind but were total washouts - Saturday, the wind never shifted from southerlies and Sunday, the wind never picked up enough to be ridable. Everyone said Monday was going to be the day ...

Kept an eye on the webcam and the forecast ... was going to be light wind but looked ridable so I headed down after work. Looks like another job for - Flysurfer! Out comes the Silberpfeil, and I drag the Psycho4 15 over to the beach - just in case. I also take both the Flydoor and the Flyradical ... options, you'll recall, are important!

Probably on the water by about 4pm. No wetsuit, just shorts, rashgaurd and t-shirt. Water isn't cold at all, just refreshing. The SA2 launches easily, inflates nicely and seems to have enough power. Everyone hits the water at once, and we diddle about for a few tacks underpowered. I'm going on a downwinder but the wind has just picked up enough to be riding ... the water's so-ooo flat! Working hard to make the tacks head upwind but I drift halfway down the beach until the wind picks up enough to hold a beam reach ... now I can start to play!

Wind picks up a little more and I make up my lost ground. Then it lulls and while I'm still riding - albeit on a broad reach now - the LEIs are falling from the sky ... a 2009 North Rebel 14 and a 2012 Naish Charger 15 get a swim to shore for their lack of low end ;)

And so it goes until about 6:45pm - wind is up and down, sometimes walking, sometimes upwind. I have fun riding toe-side in the butter flat water, throwing out some load'n'pops and trying to jump ... the timing is tough with the big foil; I get some average heights but of course, mad hang time! I swap between the Flyradical and 'door as the wind goes up and down and Soh ends up nabbing the 'radical cos it's better in the low-wind than his Hadlow Pro thingy. Guy with the Zephyr on the large directional is doing fine, making good ground upwind - I got to try one of those!

Eventually, I'm struggling to stay upwind and running out of beach and daylight so I pack it in. The wind never got up enough to consider the P4 but I had a great time anyway. Just as well, cos the forecast for the rest of the week looks crappy :(

JMA recorded the wind speed as 2.3 to 4.5 m/s (4.5 to 9 knots). Yikes! Praise Jesus for the big foil!

Here are some pics - not from today, but it's the same person (me) in the same gear with the same kite ...!






What I learned today ...
• Sharks are great glasses! I love them!
• Wetsuit season is OVER - time to break out the new Fusion!
• Timing jumps with the SA is tough but rewarding when you get it right.
• In light wind, sending from 2 or 10 is super effective!
• Screw up that jump? Coming in for a crooked landing? Just land toeside or blind and ride off - how cool is that?!
• Looks like about a 5-6 knot difference in low-end between the two boards ...?

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos of the SA2 in action. I have never seen it fly in person as a spectator since I am the one behind the bar. :thumbup:

    ReplyDelete