Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lessons Learned

Oh joy! Kick-ass forecast for today and the whole day, the wind was rockin'! Webcam looks awesome - so awesome in fact, that I go home at lunchtime to pick up the 10m Crossbow, dump the Silberpfeil and even consider the 7m Core :o

Chaffing at the bit; finally, work finishes and I race down to the lake and ... 10-12 knots!!! Oh give me a break :(

I unpack the Psycho4 15 and the Flydoor and hit the water ... hmm. This kite's a bit different. Back-stall central :( I pull the trim in a bunch and finally get up on a plane. Kite is very sensitive to sheeting in - something's gonna need a look at it! Manage to get some nice jumps in but then the wind has dropped more and I'm riding downwind. Walk up the beach - the P4 is real stable - and land, pack up and pump up the 16m Crossbow.

Pah! Just enough wind to get moving now and it's dropping even more :( Slog around on the 16 but this is not fun! Give up and land the kite. Stand around talking with Soh and Hironobu waiting for the wind, but give up about 6:30.

Could have been better, but at least I got some time on the Psycho4 - now I need to tune it a bit!

Windspeed was reported at 10-12 knots on the beach and 8 to 10 knots on the web. Pah!

What I learned today ...
• When The Fattest Kiteboarder in Japan also has The Most Powerful Kite in Japan, then you're a total jackass to leave it at home - EVER! The Silberpfeil is about to take up permanent residence in my boot!
• P4 15 - somehow, the jumps are just smoother when you're in the air, than the LEIs are ... feels more like flying rather than erm hanging under a kite :o
• P4 15 again - pulls like a 13 (so far) but also turns just as fast. VERY easy to jump with, it's just like the LEIs except smoother YOINK and longer AAH!
• Might need to Seal'n'Glide the P4 - seemed to deflate fast when I landed it on the beach. Faster than the SA2 and I thought THAT needed treatments!

No comments:

Post a Comment