Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sorry Boss can't work cos (insert excuse)

Got up, got ready to go to work but there was a good stiff breeze out there ... I thought about the impending heavy workload today - after 3 days solid of heavy work loads with no air-con in 35-degree-C classrooms - and then I thought "The hell with that!" I got a Starbucks coffee, called the boss and supplied my pre-suggested excuse. "I gotta go to the Immigration office - just like I warned I might need to last week."

Went home, hit the interweb and looked for the best wind. Looked like Hamamatsu so I loaded up the K-wagon and hit the highway ...

Got to Maisaka about 12:30pm and was glad to see other kites in the sky. Good wind blowing and I got a burst of butterflies as I got out of the car ... checked the wind with anemometer and it was reading 12-18 knots cross on-shore. Checked what the locals were riding - 9's to 12's - so I decided on the 13m Crossbow and my big board cos the surf looked a bit big.

Set up on the beach near the carpark and then walked to the water. Excellent beach, miles of space! There were about 6 or 7 other kiters there, a couple of windsurfers and a few surfers.

The waves ... they are big. Oh crap. There's about 5m of very shallow water to the first breaker, maybe a half meter, that floods the shallow bit ... I put board on feet just after the breaker washes through, dive the kite and ride out through the waves. Oh wow that was easy I must've gotten the hang of dealing with waves, thinks I.

Head out through the breakers and WOW the swells are big too! I'm disappearing down the troughs and then riding up the faces of swells that are over my head :o big fun is popping off the top and floating downwind :D

Man what a battering I'm taking ... I'll never complain about chop on the lake again! The kite feels like I should be over-powered but I'm having to sine the kite just to get some board speed - then the chop kills it all. Having an impossible time setting up jumps so they all suck :( there's no flat water and the waves are at the wrong angle to boost off good. I throw some weakness into the air but it isn't cool ... load'n'pops result in large-ish jumps and long floats downwind, so there must be some power in the kite! Frustrating.

I'm holding ground and going upwind though, which is a first for Maisaka. In fact, everyone else seems to be going downwind ...??? I've got the ocean to myself. Mostly - have to take care the windsurfers aren't in my way before I try jumping ...

Flydoor works good in the "gusty" conditions and kind of surfs down the waves too :D

Wind drops off, I head back in to the beach before I'm too underpowered to get back without walking ... and I need a drink. Take some water, chat to the guy who used to live in Kyoto and we decide that the wind is going to pick up when that there front comes in and the total lack of wind now is temporary. He sets up his 14, I set up my 16.

I launch and to try it out. I'm guessing 8 knots at best. At the water's edge, I get the beat-down by the waves and have a hell of a time getting the board on my feet and out from the breakers ... would've made a good film but the wife was working fnar fnar! I'm out on "flat" water but there's no wind to be had so I turn back in ... finally get a burst of board speed and ride in for a few minutes and it's just when I look back and around me that I realize I've been riding in on a wave! Awesome!

OMG it's the shore - whaddoIdo? WhaddoIdo? Ah, fall over, ditch the board and struggle to get on my feet, chase the board as it floats down the in the rip tide ... then walk back to carpark base camp.

Stand around with the kite up and wait for the NEXT front to roll in. It brings white-caps with it, this one does. Neat-o. Starting to feel the wind now so I head back out.

Again, I get smacked around, spun around trying to get the board on. Get up and moving but Lassie the Freestyler has decided she'll enter the water 10m downwind of me so I've got to be careful getting biffed around by waves so I don't wrap my lines around hers ... FFS I'd be trying to get board on for 5 minutes - did she not notice me thrashing around?
"Safety in Japan - it's ok, everyone else is looking out for me."

Finally get rolling - the waves are bigger, the swells are bigger holy fuck! The wind is the same gusty punchy crap though ... I'm holding ground though so I work hard on the big purple monster. The heavy bar pressure is a drag ... hmm time for a Zephyr? Still can't get the jumps right ... do a lot of low long floats downwind. Play with riding waves - what fun! Go in to shore too far and have to do some fancy (for me) riding to avoid being sloshed by the breakers - what fun! Legs are starting to burn - what fu... no, time to call it a day - got a 3 hour drive if there're no traffic jams on the way home ...

Head in, pack it up, start the drive home about 4:45 and get home about 7:45. Great day! Much better than working :D

What I learned today ...
• Riding in the ocean - much harder than on the lake!
• Need to be more powered on the ocean. Bollocks to float, it doesn't help at all.
• Surface conditions (massive swells) meant there was no wind low down - better to gently sine the kite near the top of the window.
• Chop. It's not what we have on the lake!
• There's no real point in driving all the way to Maisaka unless you're desperate - it's not that good really.
• If I went to the ocean more, I'd get a directional or a Mako. I won't so I can now forget about the Mako :D
• Don't forget to take your own fresh water for washing stuff :-/ that's why you bought the 20L tank innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment