Saturday, June 11, 2011

Post-work mad-dash

Feckin' work ... if it didn't pay for toys, I just wouldn't even bother eh. Forecast was iffy - conflicting reports on all weather sites so I hoped for the best and rushed down when I finished work at 5pm ...

... got to the lake at 5:30 and tried to figure out what kite I needed. I erred on the side of caution and took the Crossbow 13 to the beach, with the Flyradical & the Flydoor ... I really wanted to take the Psycho4 15 or the Crossbow 16 but chickened out. Should have banked on the wind dropping towards sunset, like it usually does though :(

So I pumped up the kite (damned pressure gauge I bought doesn't work on the Cab Sprint cos of the one way valve!) and hit the water with the Flyrad. Just powered enough for some fun but soon I'm working the kite hard. Back to shore, swap for the 'door. Better.

Cruising around, going upwind, doing some jumps, testing the Sharks 2.0, having some fun!

I'm landing more jumps now - like, all of them :D it's the post-landing ride away that I screw up most often now ...? Jump, land, ride away for a few meters then SPLASH ... uh? Anyway, all good fun.

Wind dies off and I'm working the hell out of the kite just to ride downwind and walk back up the beach. Sun is setting, so I pack up ... got to have a close looks at the 10m 2011 Slingshot RPM and the bar - very nice! Very light :o excellent colours and the bar looks good ... not 100% sure about the external bungy as the safety return mechanism though ...

JMA recorded the wind speed as 5 to 6 knots ... which SO can't be correct! I think weather-gpv.info offered 8 to 10 knots which sounds more likely.

What I learned today ...
• Sharks Version 2.0 are just as good as the first model - and they float!
• My sense of what the wind is doing is way off :( keep underestimating the kite I need ...
• Sending the kite WAY back is great fun - big ol' swing action going on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment