Thursday, June 13, 2013

Wanna see my stiffie? It's huge!

So the forecast was for 5 to 10 knots… we got more like 18–20 solid. Well, after I got out on to the water with the S3-21 anyway.

Was light-ish when I got there. Hironobu was being interviewed by a TV crew (of one) and Grandad was showing off.

Beach was crowded so I had to launch in the middle of people's shit, but it went up easy enough. Once it filled, sheeting in with the kite at zenith was an up-lifting experience :D paraglider time!

On the water with the Sumo for shits'n'giggles. Kinda feels like the Mako, sorta skatey unless you get the edge right. Work up to some multiple rotations when…

… I go for the first 720 and halfway through, I here someone whistling. I look around thinking the shit is about to hit the fan, but it's only Miyachi trying to get a beginner under control. The distraction is enough for me to leave the kite out of position, stall it and… twist the tip.

Can't relaunch it, have to drag it across the shore. Get it emptied and the bridle sorted then go to launch and MOTHER FUCKER that beginner has just crashed his kite on the shore right next to where I'm trying to relaunch. So I have to wait for his dumbass… thanks Miyachi.

Kite seems ok, except for a twig stuck in the bridle. I go back and get the Flydoor.

And so, over-powered, I proceed to noodle around lazily and boost some good airs. A few make me go woo-hoo but mostly it's just days of hangtime, grabs and giggling. A few back- and front-spins but mostly it's about the air time. And silly bugger wave-riding…

Ride until dark. I'm so over-powered though that I can't land the kite by backstalling. Was about to do the WTMW method but Hironobu grabbed the kite for a perfect foil landing. Nice!

Grandad is looking old and thin though :( hope he's ok.

Moment of the day was jumping right out of the board. It was funny :)
Mood of the session was annoyed lazy amused.
It sucks when you're sure it's not your fault.

Weather was reported as 13 to 15 knots, gusts to 24; 23˚ at 68%.
Wind felt like about as far as I'd want to push the 21. I can't have lost that much weight… maybe it's just tuned better? cos it's a fucking beast now.

What I learned today…
• I need to fix the S3-15.
• I need a smaller board.
• Gotta check over the 21 for damage, but it seems fine. Seems to have stretched in a few places… we know the lines shrink, does the fabric stretch?
• Found a bloody loop knot in a bridle line—cheeky bugger!
• Loops on landing to save a jump… not a good idea when the wind is up. Warp speed, Mr Sulu!
• Can wave-ride ok with the 21, if you don't ride down-wind too much.
• That feeling. When you pendulum under the kite, redirect then sheet in hard and just sorta hover there, with the board just about the water… magic!
• The above is the best way to land a jump. Spend most of the time with the kite behind you!
• Learning that a trick you can do is called a "stiffie"… priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment