Thursday, March 21, 2013

You won't believe what I seen...

No pogo-sticks - the lunatics were at the end of a kite... I'll get to it in a bit.

Forecast was for epic all day but we got crappy gusting to gravy instead. Dropped the wife off at that train station (she's going to Singapore in the school hols) and hit the lake... got on the water about 2, I guess.

Dennis the Menace was there too and was thrilled he wasn't alone... I wasn't so sure. He put up his 9, and I put up my 13 and thought I was making a mistake... too small!

Played for a bit on my 'radical, then got on the Mako cos I really wanted to try it out again. But the wind was up'n'down like whore's drawers and I ended up walking and getting on the Flydoor - yes I took all three over to the beach!

Some nice backrolls - I'm really getting my goofy side sorted! - but for the life of me, couldn't land a frontroll that wasn't UGLY. A few nice jumps but a lot of the time was spent mowing the lawn back upwind... really needed more sail in the air - probably could have gotten away with a 15m :D loop transitions were iffy cos the wind was erratic... did a lot of chicken loops tee hee!

As the afternoon wore on, So turned up and broke the wind, then Skinny Naish Dude turned up and fixed it. Had another hour of hee-haws then I started feeling sick from lack of food and drink so called it a day. It was 6pm when I got into the car :o long session!

Now for the derp... Dennis the Menace of course.

First up, he drops his kite at the shore break (numerous times) but gets it tangled and twisted... so he marches in from the water, picks the kite up, straightens out the bowtie and... lobs it downwind :o it tumbles till it reaches the end of the lines then he spins the bar to sort it out.

Next, he's fucking around on shore again and is trying to tether-launch. He's at the right hand side of the window, setting up the kite - I look away briefly, and when I look back, the kite is making its own way to the LHS of the window... slam!

So he finally gets the kite in the air and there's a bloody stick - not a twig or weed - a STICK jammed in his front line bridle. Does he land and pull it out? No way man! just keep riding till it falls out... or kills him.

Lunatic!



Moment of the day was hard to choose - no jumps that really made me go woohoo, no really awesome stunts, no great wave rides... lets just say riding powered was an achievement.
Mood of the session was grr gar aah.
It sucks when the kite stalls when you sheet out, it stalls when you sheet in, but the wind is blowing leaves off trees...

Weather was reported as 16 to 12 knots, 6.5˚C at 45%. No data on gusts that's reliable, cos we had 50 knots at midnight and we only get peak gusts recorded so... I measured 15 to 20 knots on the beach when I arrived, so I bet that's the best we got.
Wind felt like 40% aah 40% bah 20% argh!

What I learned today...
• Sometimes, you should go with your gut and rig big.
• Sunburn! Hey Zeus, I need to go with multiple coatings.
• Need to check the bar tune on the Cab 65cm.
• Also need to start taking the 2L thermos to the beach... damn the 6mm sweat suit!
• Going from the Flyboards to the Mako... the Fly's seem so locked into the edges, the Mako more loose. Still struggle to get it upwind in light conditions...
• Can fit three boards and all the gear into the car nice and snug, with no knocking or abrasion. It matters.
• Take your shades and wear them!
• I'm sure there was something else...

No comments:

Post a Comment