Monday, March 11, 2013

Me, Miyachi and Mako

Yesterday Miyachi said there'd be wind today and he was right. Wind looked steady all day on jma.co.jp so hopefully, it won't be gusty madness like yesterday. Got myself organized, got myself a coffee, and got myself down to the lake about midday.

Had a bit of a chat with Miyachi while I finished my Joe. Can't get a bead on the wind so I take the XB13 and the Flite over to the lake - gonna pump one of them up before I get into the wetsuit cos it's hot. Measure the wind as 8 to 12 knots at the edge of the lake, gusting to 16... but it's cold and every time I turn my back on the lake, it hits like more than 20. Rig the 13 to be safe, take the Flydoor and the Mako (for a change) over when I'm changed...

Start out on the Mako, easily powered but the wind is up and down. Swap it and the Flydoor a few times during the next 90 minutes. Just me and Miyachi for the whole time I'm riding too - lake to myself, basically!

Now that the mutant holes are plugged in the Mako, it's much more pleasant to ride. Spend some time getting used to it, trying to figure out how to get upwind best. Board is much more pleasant in the rough with the pads in the 'normal' stance width. Still bounces a bit much if you don't soak it up a bit with your knees, which makes for a very smooth ride. Board jumps easy too, with a slightly different technique than the flatter boards. Carves and glides down the "waves" like a boss - this is going to be a hoot in mutant mode!

Wind is not really cooperating - it's up'n'down and I have to keep swapping boards; loosing ground while playing then riding the gusts to get back upwind. Gack.

Nothing much to report otherwise, had a nice time till 2:30-ish when, at the peak of a jump, I heard a sproing and felt something give - looked down and yup, the spreader bar has broken again. Only on the right hand side, so I try to land myself without loading the kite, the make it back to shore very gingerly. Land the kite without drama... huh, the remaining side is actually pretty solid - I can't wiggle it to break it at all. But I have no spare so my day is over...  only advantage is I can get another coffee.

Good session; rediscovering the Mako, having a gentle play, enjoying some moderately good air... gravy!



Moment of the day was the first big easy boost on the Mako.
Mood of the session was confused amused bemused.
It sucks when you break ANOTHER spreader bar, and have long since stopped putting the spare in your car...

Weather was reported as 12 to 16 knots, gusts no more than 32 but that was at midnight. 7˚C at 44%.
Wind felt like 10 to 15 knots, gusts to 20. Tops. 63% comfy-power, 25% slightly under-power, 10% about to walk, 2% glad I didn't rig a bigger kite.

What I learned today...
• Best way to ride the Mako seems to be bend both knees thus weighting the front, not edging too hard thus riding the concave and fins, keeping as much of the board planing as possible. Maybe.
• Jumping doesn't need a lot of carving upwind, just loading the rear and actually jumping off the back of the board, as it were.
• Need sunblock :(
• Sunglasses, too.
• Also need to start carrying spare spreader bars FFS.
• Those thin gloves from Workman do just fine. When you're body-dragging, you feel the cold water but it's not uncomfy and once you're out, they're just peachy. Win!
• Could do with a 15m :D

No comments:

Post a Comment