Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A nice surprise...!

Well. Forecast was for absolutely nothing gusting to SFA. I'd finished the FDS bridle tune-up and reworking the Switch fifth-line as an FDS line, so I thought I'd take advantage of being an unemployed bum and go to the lake and replace all the gubbins.

Quick'n'easy to sort out... and there's a teeny bit of wind so I pull and pump the kite into the air. The FDS is MILES too long with the 3m extension so I drop it and yank it. Nope still too long... by about a 1/2 meter I reckon...

... hmm, the wind is up. I'm doing some jumps on the beach and thinking it might be good for a ride but my gear hasn't been hung out and is still sopping wet. Tall skinny guy with the Park on the directional is setting up though - and Hironobu has just arrived. All signs for a good session!

Wriggle into the suit - eek! it's cold - and lumber out to the beach where the P4 19 is still laid out. This'll be it's first run since it's trip over the road and trees...

Launch it and test it out - should be good enough. A tack out and in, one more and I have to walk the whole way up the beach. Out again and gradually the wind picks up and we're all riding upwind - just.

It's pretty funny that I can boost 3m airs but struggle to get back upwind to my starting point... the Psycho is pulling hard across the zenith, so loading the board with speed then carving and popping from the board as the kite is sent makes all the altitude.

Several times though, I boost right out of the straps. Or land with one foot in the strap... manage to drop the kite a few times too, in the process of falling on my ass/face/back. Had to launch it arc style twice, which got me a bit concerned cos it didn't really want to open up one time... had to haul in a LOT of rear line until I got air into the trailing edge, then the kite opened out LE down.

Some nice back-rolls too, both directions. Started in on the loop transitions too - so much easier to get a good lateral pull with the Psycho! Lose so much ground downwind though :D Taco the kite on a redirect only once, but keep pulling and loop it back around and into flight again... hmm...

The wind builds to a nice peak - all from the north - for an hour or so, then tails off again. As the sun sets, I'm struggling to get back to the starting point so I call it a day. The bells go off as I'm loading the car - 6 p.m. already! - must have been on the water for 2 hours... and I thought nothing was going to happen today! Sweet!



Moment of the day was when the picked up and I realized I could actually get out and ride - when I hadn't been expecting anything at all!
Mood of the session was surprised happy satisfied.
It sucks when you jump right outa your straps... but not much.
Song stuck in my head was You're the Voice by John Farnham. Whoa-ohhh-ooh-ohhh-whoa-oh-ooh oh! etc.

Weather was reported as 9 to 12 knots, gusts no more than 20 knots (at 1 a.m.); 9°C at 54%.
Wind felt like 10 to 15 knots, gusts to 20 or so. Slightly under-powered to nicely powered but wanting MOAR.

What I learned today...
• You can pop earlier, use the board to get off the water a bit before the kite starts the pull up... cool feeling to get yoinked up once you're already airborne!
• Ran the kite with about 5cm of trimmer pulled, seemed to ride the best there... might put a knot or two in the rear leader under the floats once I've tuned the lines again.
• Gotta repair the stitched stopper on the Black Rope - it's been ripped in half :o
• The best thing about FDS is that it doesn't twist when you do rotations, like the FLS does.
• Might be able to replace the Endline with the one off the 15m bar...

No comments:

Post a Comment