Thursday, March 14, 2013

Like an internet tough guy

... the weather was making a big ol' noise beating its chest and wobbling my car around on the way to the lake, but when I actually got out on the water is wasn't that strong at all.

Measured 6-10m/s on the shore so went with the 13m XB... got out on the Flyradical too so that was good.

Wind sure was odd - couldn't just sheet and go, had to work the kite and it was seeming like it wanted to be sheeted out the whole time to make power... sheet in and it'd stall. Uh?

Got some nice boosts in but I had to pick'n'choose the gusts and aim for decent waves. Wind was a bit on'n'off so I didn't do many stunts, although I did try to do foot-outs but was so tired by that time I couldn't lift my legs high enough to grab the board.

Went down the windsurfers side of the river and played in the bigger, cleaner waves there - what a hoot! But it looked like I decided to head 'home' just in time, cos the wind dropped just after I arrived. Diddled around for a while, but the wind died right off and I was getting tired so I decided to call it a day.

Great session, it was actually pretty relaxing out there, in spite of the wind's attempt to be all rough'n'tough.



Moment of the day was whooping a BIG back-roll with a sent kite, facing the wrong way for a long time and thinking "Oh crap I'm gonna get spanked!" then redirecting the kite and coming in for a smooth landing like I meant to do it.
Mood of the session was doop-de-doo whee blah.
It sucks when you find a hole in your kite :(

Weather was reported as 14-18 knots, gusts no more than 36 knots (8 am) at 6˚C, 48%.
Wind felt like 60% ok powered, 30% happy-happy, 5% uh-oh, 5% su-uuucks.

What I learned today...
• Front-rolls are physically easier than they are mentally.
• Need to get back into doing my trademark "Disco is Dead" Man...
• The LE access zipper can pinch holes in the canopy. Shit.
• Might get an electric pump, if I'm going to be working until 5pm... might save me a few minutes. Especially if I'm going to set up more than one kite... today, I could have done with the 10m set up for shits'n'giggles but couldn't be arsed pumping it up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment