Saturday, March 30, 2013

At long last!

Made the mistake of checking the hourly weather on the lake while I was in Nagoya "on business" and of course, it was cracking. I felt so good. Today, the forecast was for not very much but GPV said a burst of nice would come in about 3pm, so I headed down the lake about 1 and set up...

Out with the Flite again, then stood around on the beach waiting for the wind. Picked up a bit around 2:30 so I thought I'd give it a go... Almost 100% walk back up the beach. Then 75%, then 50%, then 0% and then 75% again so I gave up, landed the kite and had a drink.

Shortly after, the wind came in! Cracking! Bit over-powered so I headed straight out on the Flyradical...  blast out and get straight into boosting. Easy semi-decent jumps... the Flite doesn't boost to the moon but has mad hangtime. It's just a shame the spreader bar pad is digging into my chest. Felt a bit too much for stunts but tried some, and they all went well.

Was riding with my new Switch 4/3 wetsuit and Dakine Renegade waist harness... The wetsuit was fine but the harness spent the whole time digging into my sternum :(

3-hour session wound up when I couldn't stand the poking in the ribs. It was good though. At least I think it was... finishing this after Sunday's session cos we went out to see Cloud Atlas last night right after I got home...



Moment of the day was just getting out again after all week stuck in Nagoya.
Mood of the session was do-de-doo rock on! gnnn.

Weather was reported as 8-12 knots, gusts to 20 (1am) and 12˚C 50%.
Wind felt like sub-10 knots then 15 to 20.

What I learned today...
• Had the kite on the 'short' knots which was nice when the wind was down, but had to trim the kite when it was up. Will stick with the long knots, I think.
• Trimming the kite is easy enough, I have no issues with below-the-bar depower.
• What I do have issues with is the waist harness, digging into my chest... I'll try it again but I may be going back to the seat harness if I can't get it to sit on my waist properly!
• The Swtich 4/3 wetsuit is 2XL and a ittle big snug around the legs (seam behind the knee bit some), little bit lose around the forearms?!?! Fits fine otherwise. Warm enough today, although I could feel cold wind-chill on my chest... a fleece panel there would be great!
• Wore my Ballistic Slippers but too cold for that sill - the exposed skin chilled the rest of my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment