Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stealing the lime-light

Weekend plans set back till the afternoon, so I head out to the lake in the morning to see what I can see... which is, some wind. Not a lot, but rideable. Hopefully.

At about 9am (OMG so early!) I arrive and take the S3 15 and Flyboards over to the lake. The comp isn't under way yet but kites are all over the beach, so I head down the beach a tad... set up, launch, get into the water.

Huh, I'm actually riding! Wind is pretty low, I can't believe that I'm not going downwind and walking. Work the kite and the big board hard for a while...

Picks up a bit so I start playing silly buggers. Nice backrolls, attempt some frontrolls, little jumps... the wind is up'n'down.

Avoid the 'other' end of the beach and kept out of the racers way (though they don't keep out of mine) and enjoy myself, despite the conditions. Of course they're going upwind better than me but I'm having more fun, I'm sure :D especially when compared to the 2 or 3 guys who can't relaunch and drift downwind.

Around 11:15, there's a good blow so I swap for the 'radical and throw down some footouts and bigger backrolls and jumps. Whee! Then of course it drops again and I'm back on the 'door.

Had a nice time though, and am pretty sure I didn't noodle through the middle of the freestyle heat - again.

It must be pretty disheartening though, when you're running a freestyle comp and the only person riding and styling is the fat gringo on a foil who can only do 3 tricks... and is doing them. Over and over.

Moment of the day was the first footout on the Flydoor!
Mood of the session was titillated.

Weather was reported as 10-15 knots, gusts to 20, 3 hours after I left! 23°C at 53%.
Wind felt like 10-15 knots with gusts to 20 LOL

What I learned today...
• No hands footout are possible :o but not advisable, says my left knee.
• The other FSer users here are kooks - the 'distributer' rides ok but like every. other. kiter. in. Japan. doesn't seem to understand the kite, just the procedures for flying one... so if they kite won't relaunch when pulling a rear line (LEI riders, for example) they just keep pulling the rear line. Derp. The other guy is ok to but kind of in the same boat. The OTHER other guy is a newbie I think... very limited skills in kite-handling and general riding! No wonder we get a bad rap :-/
• Speed3 15 is the ultimate Ultimate Flying Machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment