Friday, October 12, 2012

Confess myself puzzled

... and the wind dies just as I get into the water. Sets the tone for most of the afternoon.

Forecasts were supposed to be good - even GPV looked ok. Headed down at 12 so I could get my jollies in before going to work in the PM. Stood around talking to Miyachi for a while then headed over.

Wind was iffy between 1 and 2; started off on the 'radical then switched it for the Flydoor to ride out the lulls and survive the gusts. La la la cruising around.

2 o'clock saw the wind pick up and hold so I switched to the 'radical and then had a good time :) worked hard on my front rolls, both directions, and back rolls on the starboard tack. Not much luck with the front rolls - I landed them nice but didn't ride away cos the kite wasn't in the right place. Or I got yoinked and slammed cos... the kite wasn't in the right place. Hmm.

Struggled with the foot-outs too - couldn't even get the foot OUT for a while, then was borking up the landings. Sighs.

Around 3 the wind got flukey... we'd get 20 minutes riding then 10 minutes of nothing. I gave up at 4pm and went home. That last hour wasn't really up to much eh.



Mood of the session was mildly irritated, puzzled.
Moment of the day was the back roll that was as high as a good jump :D

Weather was reported as 12 to 13 knots, gusts to 25. 22°C at 50%.
Wind felt like 10% sinking, 30% under-powered, 50% perfectly powered and 10% concerned.

What I learned today...
• We're back in THAT season again - gusts and lulls so wild you could get hurt if you had the wrong kite up.
• Front rolls - I can see how to turn them into transitions :D but I still can't make them nice :(
• Wind-chill now is enough to require full wetsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment