Monday, October 1, 2012

It's good to be the unemployed bum!

First official day of being unemployed. Typhoon blew through yesterday and the wind is still up today. Or should be...

Got to the lake just after 12... was raining. Wind was good though, so I thought I'd wait it out. Miyachi got a price for the Nugget in Japan for me - 8-90,000yen. May still be cheaper to get it from the US... when I have a job :o Stops raining, so about 1pm I head over to the beach with my 'radical and the S3 12. Hmm, might be over-powered in a bad way... launch the kite anyway then the wind drops. Like a rock... so I go and get the S3 15 instead, wishing I had the 21.

Wind has come back up a little... there's some guys here for the comp on the weekend, no doubt getting some practice in. Guy with an old Switchblade 10m tries to go out on his TT. Not working. Grabs his race board (Transport?). Not working. I head out on the Flydoor XL... zOMG I'm actually getting upwind! Ride it out hoping for the wind to pick up. It doesn't and I get hacked off having to clear the center fin every 2 seconds.

Take a break... wind picks up... I head out again. And it's drops again... check the time - I have to work at 5 - got an hour left...

Wind picks up and I head out again. Oh it's picked up good'n'proper so I swap out the Flydoor for the 'radical. While the wind was crappy I was doing little jumps on the 'door and some nice big fat back-rolls. Now I'm on the 'radical, I'm going as big as I can - some nice ones too! Get elevated violently a few times - titillating! Race around having fun then the wind dies again... I figure it's time to pack up anyway.

Pretty neat afternoon.

Was mightily impressed with the S3 15/Flydoor combo... the guy on the SB10/Transport was losing ground and walking while I was the only one holding ground or going upwind and doing 'stuff' :o little skinny bitches on directionals were walking. Miyachi was the only one keeping up with me - as usual.

The LF distributor was there too - well, his girlfriend was; he is in hospital with a busted-up neck from freestyling in too shallow water - and had, of course, laid out kites, bars and lines across THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING BEACH serious you don't think that might be in the way at all? Here buy my gear while I piss off all the locals.

It always puzzles me that the guys who are supposed to be selling the gear can't actually use it very well - and glaring at me as I ride past like somehow I'M the reason you can't water-start is just amusing.

Le sigh.



Moment of the day was riding back and forth, watching as the LF distributor talked up their gear - on the shore. "Ooh aar our gear is so great" ah is that why you're sitting on the beach? Fattie laughs at you.
Mood of the session was frustrated, satiated, amused.
It sucks when there's so much crap in the water, you have to hop and clear your fins every few moments...


Weather was reported as 16 falling to 10 knots, gusts to 21; 22°C at 70%.
Wind felt like it was having a laff at us... up and down like a yo-yo within the hour, let alone across the afternoon!


What I learned today...
• S3 15 is the greatest kite in the world. The usability at the bottom end is just phenomenal, with the Flydoor. Jumps easier and higher than the 21 in SFA wind... seriously can believe people who say it's all they need for lightwind :o
• The 2012 'door itself is pretty impressive too.
• The time for wetsuits has come... short john was fine though.
• On that topic - much more comfy; not getting straps jammed up the crack of my ass is nice. I could live without the squashed nuts though...

No comments:

Post a Comment