Sunday, July 15, 2012

Topping off the tanks!

It's been a bloody week and no wind or damned southerlies. More southerlies so today but it's the weekend so after riding the Duke in the morning, I plan on riding at Mie in the afternoon. Leave home at 12.30pm, arrive at the beach around 1.40. zOMG there's no wind! Not due till 2 though ... wait around and true to forecast, the wind arrives.

There's not much so it's another 21m day. Crap all over the beach - the last storm has left debris everywhere. Erk, going to be a messy launch.

Or not! Kite goes straight up without a hitch - or tangling on the sticks, weeds etc - nice! Wind is still light though and my first attempt at riding is a fail. Wade out, stand around ... ooh here's some more!

So I get some riding. At first, just mowing the lawn, then some jumps for the joy of the baseball boys cavorting on the beach. Some rolls, a few nice 'jump' transitions, some rotations ... all good fun!

Thought the wind was picking up so I change out my board for the 'radical. A little fun but the wind suddenly drops off ... I have to walk up the beach for the first time in ages!

But I'm happy with the session! Even smiled and waved at the jet-ski guys, said hello the family on the beach ... nice!


Moment of the Day was riding while the skinny cool guys were walking and fishing their kites out of the water. Fnar!

Mood for the session was grateful, fizzing, happy.

Song stuck in my head - none. My head was empty. For a change.

Weather was recorded as 4 knots building to 11, gusts to 18 (at 6pm!) and 32°C, 62% humidity. Hot!
Wind felt like I shouldn't have been riding at all, until it "picked up" - very weak!

What I learned today ...
• 3 hours driving IS worth 90 minutes riding!
• Leg straps on the Fusion harness are starting to fall off ... hmm, I make that about 60 sessions on that harness. Time for another moan :-/
• Apparently, I can do little jump transitions ... news to me but there you are.
• Water is now tepid. Do not need wetsuit.
• Do need sunblock.

No comments:

Post a Comment