Monday, July 16, 2012

I'm burning for you

Good forecast at Machiya/Tsu again today. Leave home early, go buy some new swim-shorts and hit the highway. Only size they had in a design I liked (ie. not all black) was 5L ... my current ones that replaced the zebra pants (both ripped up a seam) are 4L and incidentally, the same pattern as the new ones. Guess the shop I bought them from didn't sell them since last year :D

Traffic moving smoothly and I got to the beach early - 12pm, about 10 minutes before Junkie Sensei - makes me the first of the Locus folks.

Wind looks good! I worry that my Xbow 13 is going to be too big but it's the smallest kite in the car. I pump it up and set up anyway. Think I've crossed the lines on set up so spend some time checking them out ...

Launch the kite but ... hmm, where teh wind gone. Noodle around on the Flydoor but it ain't happening. Come back in after a bit and stand around looking at the horizon, trying to figure out what to do. Meanwhile, Boofhead, Taaki and Gloves Guy turn up ... Gloves Guy goes for his 15, Taaki his 12, and Boofhead and Junkie Sensei are barely powered on their directionals and 12's ... 16m Xbow? Can't be buggered pumping it up and the wind is supposed to peak at 2pm ... SPEED3 15 DOOD!

But where to launch ... there's a teeny open area of sand between the detritus over the other side of the pipe outlet ... but I still get shit stuck in the lines between the LH steering and mains, and the mains are caught together a meter or two from the canopy :o luckily, it all breaks and falls off as the kite fills. Phew!

Much better! For the next few hours, I'm having fun. Some decent jumps, a couple WHEE!s and some fun'n'games with transitions. Have to swap boards a few times as the wind is up and down, but I ride almost non-stop (others are walking!) and kill my legs!

Give up around about 4pm cos the wind has dropped again and my body has had enough ... good day!


Mood of the session was bemused, joyful, slaked.

Moment of the Day was boosting a passable jump, looking behind me and seeing Gloves Guy going up! We flew through the air at the same time :) Would've made a great photo ... or GoPro vid. Nuts.

Song stuck in my head was "Voices in My Head" by Denis Leary. Bah-na-na-nana-na!

Weather was reported as 10.4 knots at 12, 9.8 knots at 1, 15.4 knots at 2, 11.6 knots at 3, 9.6 knots at 4. Max gust today was 21 knots at 5pm. 32.4°C at 66%.
Wind felt like it was playing silly buggers. I wasn't over-powered at all, was nicely powered for short periods but mostly underpowered and just riding.


What I learned today ...
• You're better off wearing a size bigger swim-shorts than you would normally wear. Well I am anyway. New togs = win!
• Sun very hot.
• Sand burnee feet.
• Sun burnee legs, feet ... ouchie!
• Sun even burnee my bonce through my (thinning) hair. Must wear the hat I bought especially for the purpose :-/
• Listen to the small voice in your head that says "Hey dumbass I think you crossed your lines when setting up."
• S3 15 ... what a kite!
• Need to check the tip bridles on the 15 - they look a bit short. Grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment