Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I walk the line


Well, it's been a while since I have had a ride at "my" beach on the lake... forecast didn't look up to much but I was counting on the thermal. Wind was looking interesting around 1pm so I thought I'd toddle off down there...

Mmm, very light. Nobody is even bothering setting up. I spend some time changing out the damaged bridle lines on the 21. By the time I'm done with that, had a cold drink and sat on my bum for a bit, the wind has picked up a tad. Gloves Guy is heading over the lake to set up... I follow him over.

Might just be doable. I set up the 21 for a side-wind launch, make sure I've not bungled the replacement lines and tangled shit up. Nope! But I can't launch this way :-/ derp! Reset for a hot-launch... no worries!

Jump in the water... riding and walking a tad but nice flat water! Gloves Guy is on the new Naish Fly... but I'm riding upwind further than him ;) Begin getting back to my starting point so I start jumping. And losing even more ground downwind :D

Keep riding though, just enjoying the flat water, silly transitions and load'n'pop in the gusts. Wind gradually pick up a bit so the boosts get a little bigger. I stop for a drink at 4:30pm and I when I get back to the lake, it's crowded - Turkey and Miyachi and The Skater Guy are on the lake, Uncle Pyro is setting up and Soh is thinking about it. Directional Guy with the Tiny Kites is watching too. I keep riding...

The thermal kicks in! I'm going upwind easy and enjoying silly jumps and transitions even more so... and still outpointing the Fly riders. Turns like a 12m? Guess the 21 turns like a 10m then LOL unless of course they're just not giving it the full bar. Or tying to go upwind as hard as I am... or as fast! Love my 21!

Finally, as the sun sets, I'm the last guy on the water. Again. About a 4-hour session and I'm a bit beaten up... but smug! Walked the line between lightest wind riding and swimming in... and survived!


Mood of the session was amused smug sore.

Moment of the Day was riding rings around the light wind Fly and the little guys on bigger boards!

Song stuck in my head was I walk the line by Johnny Cash. WTF? I only know that one line!

It sucks when somehow you jam water in your ear hole and it aches afterwards...

Weather was reported as 8.4 knots falling to 6.6 then climbing back to 8.2 - gusts no more than 15.6 knots; 33.5°C at 55%.
Wind felt like I shouldn't have been riding upwind so easily!

What I learned today...
• Fly is a great kite but I'm not ditching my S3 21 for one.
• Yes, the SZ1 is too short. I think I've sorted out by how much. Or maybe the SZ2... but definitely not the erm other one!
• The brake line on the extreme outside is now too short. By perhaps the same amount as the other one? Need to check footage of other kites...
• Do the SZ lines go over or under the br lines? I don't know.
• I have sissy girly hands that get sore after 3 hours riding.
• Have to pull in with front hand and tuck knees properly to get rotations done in light winds.
• Bar grip is getting chewed up good from the uncovered T-tube :( will replace that and the lines when the new guide block arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment