Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer doldrums

:( forecast was relying on the thermal to kick it around 4pm for it to be any good... didn't work out that way.

Got to the lake about 3:30 and got straight out onto the water. It was good for about a half hour then died off. A lot of people packed up and went home...

Wind picked up a bit later so I went out on the S3 21 again, just noodling around when suddenly ZOING I lost the bar. Thought I'd hit the QR again but no, the plastic body that holds the CL has snapped right off :o


The kite had dropped on the shore so I just walked in, wrapping the lines. Laid out the kite again, decided to get the bar from the 15. Nasty little tangle at the LH bridle - WTF! Now get this...

Naturally, the wind picks up as I'm trying to get the S3 21 reset. Everyone clears off the beach so I got the little north corner to myself. Just as I'm about to lay out my lines, Fujii the jackass dumps his kite in my way. So I lay my lines out over his. Then just as I'm about to launch, he dumps someone else's bar on my wing tip. Have to go and move it and he takes that moment to drag his lines out from under mine then self-launch - his kite drags downwind over my lines 0_o how he didn't tangle shit up, I can't understand. What a tit. Yes this is the same guy who kites with a helmet but rides his scooter on the road without.

Got back out again for a half hour of nothing much. Got back to the shore as the wind died right off... I got caught walking in, in almost zero wind with the kite at the edge of the window and couldn't get it to the zenith, so I let it land and wrapped it up.

I forgot how crappy summer can be here...

Mood of the session was baffled annoyed irritated.

Moment of the Day was that single jump at the beginning - some weird wind going on that meant you'd just hover at the zenith, not sinking at all!

Song stuck in my head was Dream Weaver by Gary Wright for some unknown reason... and even odder, I got it mixed up with a RHCP song - "Creamy Beaver/I know you are hotter than a fever"

It sucks when the wind drops right as I'm trying to walk back up the beach.

Weather was reported as 6 knots climbing to 12 with gusts of 20. 33°C at 68%.
Wind felt like we should have been rocking on the big kites. Everyone struggled.

What I learned today...
• We are truly into the shitty bit of summer now.
• The Fly is better than the Zephyr. At least, Hironobu makes it look so...
• Gear breaking is annoying when the spares aren't in your car :(
• S3 21 can be looped easily on standard length lines, but I greatly before the longer power-stroke of the extensions.
• Looking forward to experimenting with shorter extension though...

No comments:

Post a Comment