Saturday, July 10, 2010

Waves, wind but a wash-out

No work today so we drove down and across to Hamamatsu - like usual!

I had my first time out on the ocean with waves involved - 6 foot breakers to get through! The waves braking on the shore were waist high, but the next two rows were well over my head ...! In the past, I've been lucky enough to kite on salt water with lagoons and stuff next to the shore ...

Wind was almost enough. I measured it at around 8 knots and it picked up a bit from time to time but ... a lot of working the Speed and a lot of water-starts that seemed promising then a lot of nothing happening then a lot of walking - and I mean A LOT according to the car's GPS I walked the 2km downwind about 3 or 4 times ...!

Got a few powered runs in but the wind was laughing at me! Dragging me around in the water but not enough somehow to keep riding - I expect it's a lack of talent on my part!

Some upwind riding but a lot of waves washing over the tip of my board and sinking it then me or a wave washing into the back of my knee and knocking me down ... everyone else was on surfboards or directionals and I can see why ...

Tried a couple jumps up and over a wave face but I couldn't land them and lost the board badly - it went shooting away on the tide so I gave up that idea and tried to concentrate on going upwind.

Should have brought my Square One with me ... I missed it's floatiness - the Door sinks a lot and whoever said "Oh the ocean is so much easier you float so much better" was a liar - I love my lake! And the water tastes like shit here ... I needed several beers to wash away the taste.

But man is the Door a smooth ride! Something about it feels wrong on my feet though ... too comfortable I guess!!!

Met two Canucks, Sean (Shawn?) and Patrick riding an old C-kite and doing ok too. Nice to see some gringos around. Also nice to see mad old guy standing knee deep in the surf in straw boater drinking beer :D

Still ... it's play in the surf, walk up and down the beach a bit, a little flying or stay home and listen to the neighbors brats scream at each other while I wrestle with video editing software ... I'd rather be here, eh!

Video taken by Olivia ... sort of LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment