Saturday, July 24, 2010

Famine or a feast

2nd day in a row with wind that I can ride in! Thought I'd try out the Synergy 19 and switch between the Square One and the Door ...

Well. Messed up the first take off - got interrupted during setup by having to growl at people for stomping all over my lines and forgot to close the deflate zipper. Doh.

Now the GoPro line mount has unmounted one line and is all tangled up. That should be an interesting movie. Doh

The Master of Disaster was at it again - I got a real close look at a Zephyr when it nearly dropped right on my head, as a particular guy on a Cult cut through someone and rode his lines straight through someone elses. He's done that to me too. He and a few other people like to come right into shore and do tricks in the shallows - probably cos they can't relaunch their kites worth a damn! Doh.

Finally in the water and get some fun rides but can't make much ground upwind - wonder if it's my settings ... all at 50%. Am swapping the boards every run and for sure, once I'm up and planing the Door is faster and holds a line better ... have I already outgrown the Square One? :(

Only felt like 30 minutes riding when everybody got the fuck off the water when a thunderstorm rolled through ... except Grandpa who figured he'd be ok - took some harsh words by a bunch of others to get him off the water.

So I'm landing my kite and it's having a fit - bowtied on me so I'm letting it drop to the ground before I dump the safety but Mr Helpful runs up and - you guessed it, grabbed the downwind leading edge. I'm screaming at him to FUCKING LET GO as it starts to power up and he finally gets out the way so I can pop to safety. Thanks for trying to help but it's OBVIOUSLY not a tubie and I DIDN'T ask for help!

Watch the storm fade out, feel a few spots of rain then get back in the water. I've taken off the GoPro ... stick to the Door and get a few fun runs, a little downwind but ok. Then the wind drops off and I'm looping the kite to keep moving. Time to give up as the sun sets. I spend a few minutes body dragging in the water ... ah bliss! A few silly 'jumps' downwind then pack up.

Apparently we're going to have the same tomorrow too! Famine or a feast ... the wind is bulimic!

No comments:

Post a Comment