Monday, July 5, 2010

Hammered spam

Feeling a bit beat up after yesterday's session ... but weather-gpv.info predicted ridable wind so I dragged my decrepit carcass down the beach to join the rotting fish carcasses and anal douches littered on the shore, around 4:30pm.

Decided that I'd just have a play with the 19m Synergy cos everyone was being all pessimistic so I set up and did some scudding and jumps on the beach; tested out the looping speed too.
Wind picked up and people were riding so I grabbed my board and hit the water.

Bah, more submarining and water-starting all the way down the beach to walk back. Slowly though the wind seems to be picking up and suddenly I'm riding down-winders the length of the beach. Got a few runs far enough out from shore to do slide turns - fail rate maintained at 20% :D Had one real sweet one though, sort of carved it round on the back foot, powered by the kite ... felt like riding powder on a snowboard!

As the sun set, the wind picked right up and it was just me and Sou on the water. Cos some semi-upwind runs in going out, but the current and waves pushed me into shore on the way pack in ... all were WoS. Wonder if a faster board would be better for the Synergy ...

Packed up in the dark! Was home by 8pm ...

So, light-wind comparo, Synergy 19m vs Speed 1.5 17m ...
The Speed probably gets me going earlier but it's a dog to work in the sine until you can park it.
The Synergy is fast - turns on a dime and holds more power on the upstroke but can't be parked in this wind like the Speed can - gotta work the Synergy like a slave, although it's not a chore at all.
You can loop the Synergy for a good burst of speed but lose ground downwind. That's fun though :D
Next to impossible to stall the Synergy when you're moving - MonkeyAir was right!

Well, it was better than sitting in front of TV but I'm battered and stiff now ...

Forgot to add settings for the Synergy.
Center strap fully tight, tips fully loose, bridle max power/bar pressure which was too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment