Wednesday, July 21, 2010

DIY crossover bar - first test

First day of the hols and I'm already bored, little to no wind and it's southerly so it's no use to me anyway ... may as well go annoy the groundskeepers at the Notogawa park.

Hot as hell, road sign said 37°C but at least it's not as humid as it was last week.

Arrive at the park with my Rebble and Ace and tramp down to the river bed to enjoy the nice flat cool grassed area ... /rant bloody old people are taking over the WHOLE public park with their stupid gate ball ground golf croquette game - there's bloody metal spiky flags all over the river bed now! Sigh ... I think one day they might come and find them all at the bottom of the river ...

So back to the soccer pitch (hard packed dirt) to set up with the Rebble first. Quick flight with the handles - phew only enough wind to keep it in the air! Switch to the bar ... whoa that works sweet! The Rebble is my first kite and the power lines are about a foot longer than the brake lines - the bard works perfect without any trim so I guess for my newer kites I'll have to meddle ... play with the Rebble for a bit, end up walking backwards across the field but am enjoying the speed and ease of 'depowering' the kite and how well it turns! Reach the end of the pitch, test the safety - boing! - no problems so pack up the Rebble.

Out comes the Ace. I removed the pulleys from the pulley handles for the bar ... the pulley handles worked ok but without a back-strap, it was (and still is!) impossible to apply brakes on this monster! The wind has shifted to northerly - quick flight with the handles ... damn what a beast! Switch to the bar and pop it up ... nice! Needs a bit of trim on the brake lines - I guess the power line connector is too short like Jovver said - sorted that out and now she flies good! Power is much easier to handle with the bar and through the harness (duh!) and it turns a little quicker.

Reverse relaunch is a little trickier than with handles and you lose a little finesse, but I think on the whole it's a great bit o' kit! Now I'm going to try to make something like the PKD bar :D

No comments:

Post a Comment