Sunday, September 28, 2014

Rock on!

Surprise forecast, couple of days after the typhoon and we get a cracking good day.

Unfortunately, they're having a comp so the beach is COVERED in unused kites, lines and bars and there's literally nowhere to launch a kite, let alone set up.

Tough choice on the size, the little guys were riding 12 to 14 meters, but it's supposed to pick up continuously through the afternoon, so I risk the 13. Pump up in the grass (spiky things everywhere, look out), carry it across to a freshly vacated spot and lay out my lines, threading between other kites.

Got into the air and on the water... great! Going to be good. Spent a couple of hours whooping it up, but the wind drops off so I take a break. When I think it's picked up, I go back out... more woohoo fun, but the wind drops off again after an hour or so, so I call it a day.

Some good jumps and rotations - front rolls are rusty. Occasionally in the gusts I had to fight to hold edges, and a few times went wa-aaay downwind just a few feet off the water as I got hauled off. Great fun, much better than the typhoon day!

Weather was reported as 15 to 22 knots, gusts to 32!!! 25˚C at 64%, climbing throughout the day.
Wind felt like 50% comfy-powered, 35% WOOHOO, 10% bah-humbug and 5% Whoa Nelly!

What I learned today...
  • Soh is a little bitch.
  • Back is good, pain almost nonexistent and legs working as well as I can remember they can.
  • Want a kite that loops better...!

No comments:

Post a Comment