Friday, May 9, 2014

Gusty but scary. And fun. But scary. And fun.

Was out about lunchtime and noticed the wind was up. Huh, should've paid closer attention to the forecast. Run around organizing stuff.

Get to the lake just after 2. Wind looks ok, JMA seems to say it'll drop later so I'll go with the S3 12 and take the XB 10 just in case.

Head out with the 12... ah, this should be fun!

And so it was...! Some rather big boosts - I could see the whole of the roof at the club house, and that's a 3 story building :o about 2m up over the road too.

With the wind though came the gusts... poor kite took a beating in the punchy shifts. Yikes...

Get dropped a few times when the wind just dies at the top of a jump. Get lobbed a few times when rotations go screwy... after a particularly big lobbing, I must have unhooked myself cos a few minutes later the bar goes flying out of my hands and the kite ends up in a mess... kinda fly it back to shore, dump it and recover.

Head back out, a little less sure. Wind has dropped a little and is a little more stable, but now I'm screwing up jumps to port, like the bad old days - nearly rotating backwards without meaning too... bad combination of kicker and wind angle?

Dunno. I'm starting to fade so call it a day... and what a day!

Weather was reported as 20 falling to 8 knots, gusts to 28; 18˚C at 58%.
Wind felt like a moment of "Imma gunna die", lotsa moments of AWWW YEAH and a few moments of woohaa.

What I learned today...
  • Kite handles real funny when wet.
  • Elevator rides are fun but scary. Especially when the lift stops.
  • So-ooo out of practice! But at least my fitness isn't as bad as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment