Sunday, May 4, 2014

Gusty but good!

Forecast was iffy at Tsu but I was going anyway... the other problem was it's Golden Week holidays so the roads and beach will be packed.

Yup, the morons are digging clams out of the sand all along the beach - thousands of people in the middle of the beach. Thankfully, it's a big beach.

The wind looks good enough for another Speed3 12 day, and the water looks really flat. Huh.

One tack, two tacks, tangle a tip once, twice and... floating in. Gah, it's really gusty out here. Struggle after relaunching the kite to get back moving at all, but I guess it's just wet cos eventually I get it sorted.

Actually, despite the gusts, it's a pretty good session. Some nice jumps, fun in the waves etc. Even the kite stalling in a lull in the middle while I was standing on the beach wasn't too much of an issue. I had a great 3 hours straight on the water... and didn't get burned :)

Weather was reported as 9-16-15-12 knots, gusts to 26 at 3pm. 18˚C at 62% and... no rain!
Wind felt like never over-powered, and a little under-powered most of the time. Jumps meant I had to work to get back upwind and I spent a lot of time "downwind" in the pier corner.

What I learned today...
  • Tsu can be gusty too :(
  • New Hyperflex wetsuit is lovely but that gusset at the back will piss me off when I'm the only one around.
  • The leaders on the kite need replacing too - I can imagine those buggers snapping as well. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment