Thursday, August 8, 2013

One mad minute

Spent all day humming and harring cos the wind didn't seem quite there. Mark assured me that it'd come in, in the late afternoon. So we went to Angela's for a late lunch then got back to Nathon about 4.

Waited some more, looks like it'll pick up, there's a storm cell out at sea. I decide to be the guinea pig and launch first. Tack out through the flat, 3 inch deep water... mmm, it's coming in but it's gnarly - canopy is twitching like a mad thing.

Get out past the sand bar and let rip. Good jumps, some almost make me go "woohoo" so it's good. I'm just getting used to being well over-powered and then Mark cuts by close and says "Watch out for that"; that, being a big black cloud bank.

Another what felt like 5 minutes of great fun then it started to drop. When I couldn't go upwind any more, I made my way back into the shallows. Landed my kite, then the wind fell right off.

Well, it was awesome for a while there!

Weather was reported as 15 to 20 knots.
Wind felt like 25-30... it was hairy.

What I learned today...
• Mark likes pies.
• Buzz is a wind god. Or whatever it is that when someone comes and sets their gear up, the wind dies.
• Jumping from flat water is tough. I like my kickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment