Thursday, August 1, 2013

Could have been worse...

Forecast wasn't up to much but I was a-prayin' for the thermals... and they delivered.

Watched the webcam all P.M. until 5 when the wind turned and picked up. Rocked on down, decided to go with two TTs and the 21.

Was having an ok session... jumps still can't do well with that damned board. Foot-outs are easy though. Getting upwind fine if I slow it down.

Got stoked cos I was landing backroll board grabs :D so started trying to do backroll kite loops... but now I realize they were doomed from the start, because I wasn't thinking about the right way to do them and had used up the mojo on the triple front- and backrolls and grabs.

So I borked one up, was underwater and thought I'd let the kite finish the loop and then - SPROING - the kite is flying by the RH lines only :( the LH power pig tail has ripped in half. Sigh... kite spirals down onto the beach, with a tip in the water. Wrap up the lines and rescue the kite, bamboo tangled like a mother in the lines... and there's a broken line, so that'll have to be fixed too. Grr. And there's a boo-boo on my finger.

Oh well, I got nothing but time baby! Back to the P4 for light wind then :D

Moment of the day was landing the backroll grabs! The multiple backrolls were groovy too.
Mood of the session was ho-ho-ho-doh.

Weather was reported as 10 to 8 knots, gusts to 14; 30˚C at 71%.
Wind felt like an honest 15 knots, with a few knots on either side.

What I learned today...
• The FS pigtails aren't designed for the big boys to throw down the powered submarine moves.
• You can give yourself a lot of pain by smashing your own fist into your harness. Who knew?
• Backroll board grab! without a redirect so I gotta be careful... and they're tough on the starboard tack for some reason.
• Trimming the Z is a tough job.

No comments:

Post a Comment