Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Weird but wonderful

Forecast was good but the wind had dropped off at work by the time I'd headed out. Should still have been good... and the lake looked good... but once I got onto the water, it was crap.

I pumped up the Flite cos it was light, but there was a blow line moving in, although it wasn't going to be much, according to GPV. Just as well I didn't try the S3 21 cos it was twitchy wind...

Got out on a tack though... but had to work the kite and it really was twitchy. Downwind, walk a bit then try again. Was thinking about giving up but noticed Miyachi and the windsurfers were riding well wa-aaay out off the beach, so I had another tack out there and when I reached the old "upwind marker" buoy, the wind just took off!

Good jumps, great fun, tack back in, cross the marker and... nothing. Really weird! So I spent an hour out past the marker, way the hell out further than I've been for a very long time, enjoying some crazy wind.

Started to drop, I noticed the number of white caps falling off so I decided to come in to shore - good call, as it turns out cos the wind fell right off. Pretty good session, considering how shit the wind was at the beach!

Moment of the day was getting some riding and fun in when not expecting to.
Mood of the session was baffled amused baffled.

Weather was reported as 6 to 5 knots :o 16˚C at 50%.
Wind felt like 15 plus a few knots *out there* but about 10 on the other side of the markers.

What I learned today...
• The wind is a queer mistress.
• Man, the Flite is such a fun kite!
• Bit awkward with Soh... he was determinedly not looking in my direction. Tosser.
• Still not sure about rigging the Flite on the rear line knots...
• Must have barely got my hair wet... just noticed, it's been blow-drying like a lame Flock of Seagulls-do, from the direction the wind was strongest :o so it's sticking out sideways over my left shoulder :D

No comments:

Post a Comment