Friday, May 3, 2013

More mellow amusements

Committed myself to going to Costco during the day cos the forecast looked like poo anyway... but we got back at 4 and it actually looked like a day like yesterday so I reloaded the car and headed down. Didn't even hesitate, and took the 21 and only the Flydoor over to the beach.

Quick set up, easy pre-fill and launch. Mmm, feels a tad lighter than yesterday - people are packing up cos it's dropped. Tack out, just going upwind... till I do some stunts then I gotta work it. Fight my way through the pack...

... and right under Fujii's kite. It was right above my head and I think he yelled "Abunai!" at me. But it was awesome, like a kite movie, and I was past his slow ass in a few seconds. Then, if I interpreted his waving at me correctly, he wanted me to fuck off upwind and in the middle of waving, rode into the shore and wiped out LOL Dude, watch where you're going at stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Put a bit of a damper on my stoke... but I soon got it back. Rode till I was alone and it was dark. Same menu as yesterday; rotations and stuff. Managed a double front roll by accident which was cool :) tried a double back-roll immediately but borked it up.

Got back to the carpark to discover I'd left the car lights on... thankfully, it started just fine.


Moment of the day was Fujii waving me off like an ass then riding into the shore going ass over tea kettle!
Mood of the session was rah! uhh? ooh.
It sucks when dickheads ruin your stoke.

Weather was reported as 12 to 10 knots, gusts to 18; 15˚C at 48%.
Wind felt like powered enough 65%, 30% whee ho ho ho, 5% working to get upwind.

What I learned today...
• Getting safety advice from a tosser who never looks behind himself before turning, rides right behind me so I have to ride out into the river before I can tack, wears a helmet on the water but not on his scooter is... funny as hell! Upwind envy?
• Big ol' floaty front-rolls are easy (on the starboard tack) so long as you redirect nicely.
• Still not doing nice front-rolls on the port tack...
• Dragged-hand back-roll transitions are doable... but not advisable in a wetsuit - blast of water up the arm!
• Legs need straps cos the suit inverts and it's tough to get it back on the water.
• Heat shrink for the laces?
• Need to work on front-rolls, f-r transitions and jump-loop transition on the port tack.
• Landing on your trapezius muscles hurts...!

No comments:

Post a Comment