Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Front-roll fantastico!

Looked like another good forecast but I noticed the wind dropping during the PM while at work. Oh well... toddled off to the lake anyway. Looks ok but I'm going out with the big guns - Flite 17 (cos it's raining) and the old Flydoor.

Naturally, the wind has died by the time I get over the beach. White caps are moving in from the horizon though - so I go ahead and rig up. By the time I'm done, the "wind" has arrived.

Phew, only just enough to ride upwind. Jumps aren't happening so I set about doing rotations. What fun! Sent back-rolls, front-rolls and - drum roll please! - front-roll transitions with a down loop! No problems getting back upwind but no big air :(

So I played silly buggers as the wind (and rain) came and went, and then finally gave up around 6:45 - just before dark. And the rain. Again.

Oh, I slathered myself in sunblock and wore a hat too... the sunburn has finally stopped hurting all the time, but the hat sliding on my skin still hurt...



Moment of the day was kind of accidentally nailing the front-roll transition with a loop... I meant to do it, but didn't think it'd work so wasn't really thinking about it :)
Mood of the session was bah oh? har!

Weather was reported as 12-14-11 knots from 5-7pm, gusts no more than 28 at 2pm :o 78% at 10˚C.
Wind felt like 10-15 knots, a few gusts around 18 maybe.

What I learned today...
• Rig the Flite on the longest knots. Maybe...
• Might be time to fiddle with the other knots... less depower = ...?
• Back-rolls... send the kite, have a good ol' look way back upwind :D
• Don't send it back too far... oof!
• Front-roll transitions with a down-loop... lines are untwisted :D
• And they're easier than they look... well in one direction anyway.
• Land with the board more square to the wind, ready to ride off!
• Knees up on the rotations - you can just hang there on the way down, ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment