Saturday, April 14, 2012

Now we talkin'

Well it's about goddamn time. Good afternoon forecast... I tried to weasel out of working a full shift but it didn't happen. So when work let out at 4:45 I headed straight down the lake... got there about 5:20-ish. Straight into the wetsuit, quick look at the wind and other kites up - 13m day! hopefully on the Flyradical - and hauled ass over the road, pump the kite (quick relax and check my shit is wired right) then jump in the water...

... just as everyone is getting off :D so for a while it's me, Soh and Hironobu, then just me and Hironobu till dark.
Wind is great, I'm psyched so I go at it as big as I can. Some really good jumps, and I only foul up the landing of one. I even start doing some backrolls, trying to go big (double to splash down) and front rolls...
I rode until dark and when Hironobu got off the water, I decided it was time to pack it in... the wind was dying, anyway.

Mood of the session was amped.

Moment of the Day was that front roll that straight up, around and back down to land almost where I took off... not sure if that's how they should be done, but it felt really good :D

Weather was recorded as 18 to 14 knots, 11°C 76%. It was gusty, and there was one occasion when the kite started twitching so I'm betting the peak gust of 28 knots was pretty accurate.

What I learned today...
• Don't need gloves and boots any more.
• I can get to the lake after Saturday work and still have enough time to wear myself out - HOO rah!
• You can survive pretty much any ugly send or takeoff so long as you get the kite back over your head and time the redirect properly.
• I still hold my breath when jumping :-/
• And I'm still pussying out when the gusts come through and I could really boost huge!
• My excuse for the above is that it's tough to hold the edge to pop properly. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment