Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bork bork bork!

Forecast looked iffy but I'm jonesing so I headed off down to the lake when work let out at 3pm. Soh was just coming in - "Wind is dropping. Check out my new car." - and that guy with the WagonR was just going out. Taki was there so I geared up...

Started off well. Just powered on the Flyradical but indeed, the wind was dropping. I did a bit of a walk and swapped it out for the Flydoor. By this time WagonR guy has given up and Taki is just getting in the water. We ride for a bit...

At it was all borked - trying out the tips for holding the big jumps in line, I still couldn't get shit right and was all over the show. Then I slowed my thinking down and concentrated on what I was actually doing and hello, my problem seems to be I'm redirecting almost as soon as I'm off the water - that ain't right! Stop doing that and the jumps are better... now I can play with final redirection timing!

The wind is dropping and so are the heights of the jumps... Taki is walking, I'm holding ground after a single jump each tack and now then I'm only holding ground - just. I look upwind but don't see any more wind on the way - if fact, the white caps have disappeared. I'm calling this session over...

Must have been out there on the water for about an hour or just over - we're back at the clubhouse by 5:20pm. Good session though I called the wind 'crappy' for dropping out on me :) thank god I didn't leave work at 4!!!

Moment of the Day was realizing what I was doing wrong and getting my mojo working again. I bet I forgotten it all by next time though!

Weather was around the 11.2knots mark, falling to 5.9 at 8.1°C 71% by the time I left. I would have guessed a little more in the good bits and... a little more in the bad bits :o it's the first time I've almost gone downwind on the 'door in a lo-ooong time. Well... almost ;)

What I learned today...
• S3 21 + Flydoor + fattie > SB12 + 150x45 TT + 50kg Asian dude :o
• Don't meddle with the bar on the way up!
• Don't meddle with the bar on most of the way down!
• Mako is much smoother through the water than the Flyradical - less splash in the face.
• I'm more used to the 'radical though, so I find it easier to ride upwind. Maybe :o
• Both Flyboards are easy to jump but I love jumping the 'radical!
• The old FSer straps are a bugger to adjust in gloves :(
• I'm looking forward to warmer weather so I can ditch the booties!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment