Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day lays on a sweet sunset session!

Wasn't thinking about getting a ride in today but when I opened my browser to check mail, the weather tab was open and showed a cracking forecast. I refreshed the tab thinking it was old data but no, the weather has improved over-night! Woot! Luckily, I still have my gear in the car from the aborted session on Monday...

Wind is good up north where I was working, but when I arrive at Locus there's SFA. Looks like a front coming in though... stand around chatting with Soh for a bit then as the wind definitely has picked up, get changed and hit the water!

Head out on the Mako and initially, I'm powered fine but then I'm losing too much ground in the jumps that I can't jump AND get back upwind, so I come back in for the Flydoor.

Better... I enjoy some jumps that all seem to end up as transitions cos I have to downloop the kite to stop from borking the landing.

Soh is riding upwind ok but packs it in slightly earlier than I do. I keep going and the wind picks up even more - BIG jumps now! Having trouble sticking the landing - think I'm redirecting too early and getting turned to the side.

Have a great session though and come in to pack up in the dark... must have been 90 minutes on the water. Excellent.

Moment of the Day was the "kite loop" that I did on purpose and actually felt the lift and pull downwind... just like a real one. Ok I lie - the big jumps are still giving me wood.

Weather was recorded as 6.2 knots at 5pm, 8.1°C 73% BWA-HAHAhahahaha whatever!!!
Gusts to 16 knots at 10 minutes past 5--yeah that seems more like it.

What I learned today...
• The disadvantage of having loose footstraps is that your feet slip out mid-jump.
• The advantage of having loose footstraps is that you can slip your feet back in--after they slip out mid-jump.
• The Mako isn't really great at going upwind. Well, not as good as the Flyboards... wonder if it's the rocker or the curved rails?
• The kite going to the edge of the window IS what's pulling me around to land backwards.
• I need wrist straps to stop water going up my sleeves and my gloves being peeled off.
• Miyachi sells wrist straps.
• I bought wrist straps.
• On the rooly big jumps, I'm being rotated to land backwards because I'm redirecting the kite too early.
• Maybe.
• Soh broke his wrist over the New Years in Okinawa.
• Miyachi rode on Monday but it was very shitty conditions - I didn't miss anything worth not missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment